2005 VW Passat BKC 1.9 TDI (Oil???)

mma2021

TDI
Hey guys, still new to the VW cars. I was wondering what type of oil and how much I would need to put in my 2005 Passat 1.9 TDI? Would any of you know this info?? I tried to read the owner’s manual but it’s in 100% German! I keep getting the “service jetzt!” sign. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
The BKC would be a PD engine. You'll need VW spec 505.01 oil which is a 5w40 weight synthetic oil. Pentosin. Liqui-moly, and Castrol are some companies that offer one with that spec, just make sure when you look on the bottle that it says 505.01 VW on it. VW says the 507 spec oil supercedes the 505, but the 507 is designed for a dpf and doesn't have the good lubricity of the 505.

Terrific-In-Tahoma

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 ALH Jetta M5 / 05 BEW Jetta Wagon A4
While I concur that the spec for the oil being 5w40 is correct, for my 2005 VW Jetta TDI engine the owners manual specifies any 505 oil with 5w40 is sufficient, it specifically says "synthetic or conventional" in my English BEW printed Canadian manual.

This means (at least in my reading of the manual), as long as it meets the 505 spec, and is 5W40, then you are fine.

Here is the issue though, the BEW and perhaps the BKC might have the same camshaft design, where there is extra pressure on the thinner lobes for the PD engines, since there is less space for the cam followers to fit in, AND have room for the Fuel Injectors.

It is the Fuel Injectors that sit inside the heads of these things, and get driven by the camshaft. These then need smaller cam lobes, and the oil gets put under higher stress. (compared to the 2001 ALH variant).

This means the oil has to have higher shear strength, and won't lose this shear strength over time.

So, yes, you could put in a non-synthetic oil, the better approach is to monitor your oil level in between fill ups, and top it up religeously with a 1/4 pint of oil until (while hot), it reads to the top of the range.

Why, I suggest the top the markings?

Because oil shrinks as it gets colder, and you could loose 5% through the temperature changes of the oil from running, to sitting in the bottom of the pan. (and a little extra oil will not cost you much , compared to a camshaft replacement, due to neglect of the oil levels).

[Edit from original] I might add, that the oil does get naturally thinner through the hotter parts of the engine, it also removes heat, from other parts that need to be cooled, and this is where having sufficient oil in reserve(the part above the add mark) cones in handy. That additional oil of perhaps half a litre(half quart?) will aid in the total mass of oil inside the engine performing the cooling.

VW Specifies [3.8] litres, but the website Oil-Change:Info lists the vehicle [VW Passat B6(05-2005 through 2008)] as needing 5W40 in the quantity of 3.8 litres, with extra half litre when changing the filter.

[2nd edit]Google translate should help , with some of the common words such as translations into "capacity" and "oil type", so that you can look them up in the manual.

the charts are like any other car manual where it has "specifications" or "Spezifikationen"
[b6 variation : check version you have]

Last edited:

mma2021

TDI
Thank you both for your thoughtful response! This is very educational for me as I prepare to do my first oil change on my BKC which has 290.5K km. The previous owner did tell me there’s a little oil leak however he never saw decrease whenever he checked the dipstick.

Terrific-In-Tahoma

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 ALH Jetta M5 / 05 BEW Jetta Wagon A4
Well it depends......

The previous owner did tell me there’s a little oil leak.
On what you define as a "little".

In my world, even a little is "too much" since it has to come from somewhere, and that somewhere either is the lubricating oil, the coolant, the fuel, or the tranny fluid(auto only).

So depending on the machine, it might be insignificant, or something for-telling of the future.

I would not believe the statement "he never saw a decrease", since he may never was looking in the right place.

He may have been looking at the lubricating oil but the fluid that was dripping out is red ATF fluid. (a different type of oil) that keeps the Automatic Transmission operating in peak performance.

YMMV.

mma2021

TDI
Thank you for the insight sir. I will definitely dig around in there and see where this leak is coming from. Also, would a Rotella T6 5w40 oil work for my 05 Passat BKC TDI 1.9??

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Thank you for the insight sir. I will definitely dig around in there and see where this leak is coming from. Also, would a Rotella T6 5w40 oil work for my 05 Passat BKC TDI 1.9??
T6 isn't 505.01. I would not use it in any of my Volkswagen cars. Some people do without too many issues, but I've seen too many issues with buildup with people running rotella. It strangely has a cult like following, and I don't know why. Maybe because it's cheap.