2005 TDI MK4 Golf - Clutch replacement recommendations

S-TDis

TDI
2002 golf Tdi
Hi guys/gals

My clutch is failing in my car. Rattles at idle gets better when what’s left of the clutch is depressed. Loud knocking in neutral just waiting to explode.

anyways, looking for clutch recommendations for replacement ie. good company/vendor to buy from price and quality wise.

Thank you in advanced and sorry if this is in the wrong section I didn’t really see one appropriate like a transmission section.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
South Bend stage 2 endurance seems to be a popular pick

Depending on your eventual horsepower goals maybe look into a stage 3 also

Andrew

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
A South Bend Daily Driver 2 will hold a Stage 4 tune w/o issue. The Endurance 3 holds more power, but the clutch is really "grabby" and not much fun in heavy traffic. I have a SBDD2, and the leg power on this clutch feels like stock.

S-TDis

TDI
2002 golf Tdi
South Bend stage 2 endurance seems to be a popular pick

Depending on your eventual horsepower goals maybe look into a stage 3 also

Andrew
Thanks Andrew!

just a commuter I’m in it for the fuel economy. Requirements are it’s gets me to and from work. I won’t put any more money in it then I have to haha life is expensive

S-TDis

TDI
2002 golf Tdi
A South Bend Daily Driver 2 will hold a Stage 4 tune w/o issue. The Endurance 3 holds more power, but the clutch is really "grabby" and not much fun in heavy traffic. I have a SBDD2, and the leg power on this clutch feels like stock.
thank you for the reply!

I will look into one of these. Hopefully there not to expensive!

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The SBDD2 is a nice clutch, but it is pricey. There are other options available for less money, but I got mine I wanted to be sure when I upgraded the power it would handle it. There are members here running big power and not South Bend clutches.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
x2. The Luk Repset, part number in the preceding post, is very good. it's cheap and has good torque capacity, including in my car with a tune and turbo upgrade.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
My mom has the 17-050 in her car and It’s a disappointment, thought it would be awesome based on the feedback here. Not so. For $200 you get what you pay for.

The G60/VR6 clutch is the best IMO, it’s like buttah. My old Golf had the SB stage II daily and it’s not as good as the aforementioned G60 kit which is $300. https://www.cascadegerman.com/product/k7003802/?attribute_pa_bolt-kit=none

stilill

TDI
Golf,2005,Black,GLS
I can vouch for the LUK 17-050 DMF kit, used this kit to replace a noisy rattling at idle clutch and was very satisfied.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Specifically why don't you like it?
-It doesn't hold full power on BRM stage II Malone without DMF chatter. It's a new kit, less than 10K miles on it.
-If feels like the LUK flywheel is lighter than the G60, easier to kill the engine if you don't rev it higher and feather the clutch when pulling into the driveway. Our mechanic also commented on this as well. He has a G60/VR6 in his (My old) 2003 Jetta.
-More vibration (Yes my mother also confirmed it has more vibration than a G60 SMF.) It's crazy but true, maybe because it's lighter. Doesn't make sense to me either.

Don't believe the hype. It's a $200 clutch kit, you get what you pay for. I'd recommend the G60/VR6 on a tuned ALH or PD and/or a G60/Silent Clutch kit if not tuned.

I had the SB stage II daily on my old Golf and I still prefer the G60/VR6.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
LUK-17-050 has been fine on the last two TDI's that we used them on (04 Jetta Wagon, and 06 Jetta Sedan). Both were stock tunes, and daily driven.