2005 Passat timing belt

glennrusan

TDI
2008 Touareg TDI, 2005 Passat BHW
What special tools are required? who sells them? Is the procedure similar to the A3 or A4 even though my engine is not tranverse mounted?
Thanks

Kevinski

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI, GLS
Posted by Oilhammer:

You may want to study up on this thread first:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=223941

www.cardocautomotive.com
"Where no paint marks lose their lives during a timing belt change"

Oilhammer, this is a subject that has me thinking of dumping my passat.

I tried to read the thread from start to finish and got discouraged as well as a headache. Tons of info to read through.

So what is the bottom line? Listen for the "blender noise", wait till you hear the noise, wonder if what your hearing is the noise, replace everything at same time as the timing belt service, replace the shaft only, get the new VW kit, or just dump the vehicle?

Not trying to slam anyone (sometimes typed words can be misinterpreted), just really frustrated, confused, and overwhelmed by the potential cost. So much for any savings in owning a diesel!

Just trying to get a basic summary of the situation for myself and others to read/consider their options. Thanks for all the work you have put into this.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Kevinski said:
So what is the bottom line? Listen for the "blender noise", wait till you hear the noise, wonder if what your hearing is the noise, replace everything at same time as the timing belt service, replace the shaft only, get the new VW kit, or just dump the vehicle?
It differs for everyone as we each have a different situation. For me it's really not an issue as I have 53K at 4 years = relatively low mileage = even a straight up replacement would be every 8 years or so. If you rack up the mileage it would seem the permanent fix would be the only cost effective measure. Even @ 3K it's still far less than a car payment, any car payment.

I agree it is a bit disconcerting to have such a fatal flaw discovered.

The biggest plus to me is that OH & the folks here have ID'd the problem giving us the information to make an informed decision.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Folks, fixing that defect along with the scheduled timing belt, is good insurance for an additional 100+ K miles (or more). No telling what the fuel prices will evolve to over the next few years. Heck, some gasser repairs are just as costly, if not more.

I don't think the diesel/gasoline potential savings is the issue at all here. It's really about vehicle reliability and longivity of the engine.

glennrusan

TDI
Thanks for the info & links. I ordered the tools & purchased the parts from the dealer @ trade Price. I was looking for instructions on putting the front end into service mode. The 1.8 link did the trick. My owners manual calls for the timing belt @ 160,000 kilometers, the dealer said that has been changed to 128,000 kilometers. I have 150k now, I wanted to do the job today Sat 29 Nov. but the tools didn't arrive yet. I have not noticed any extra noises from the engine yet, but I'm watching the posts as more info comes available. Maybe I wont have to worry about it untill the next timing belt change.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
glennrusan said:
My owners manual calls for the timing belt @ 160,000 kilometers, the dealer said that has been changed to 128,000 kilometers.
Glenn, what engine are you talking about? The dealer said *who* changed the TB replacement interval?

Thanks

Tony

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
The 160k calculates out to 99,419.39 US miles. That would be fully in line with the US manuals that call TB at 100k.

There seems to be a dealer rumor floating around that its now lower, but there has been no documentation or notification sent (and I got the notification for the brake light switch and have not moved since we bought the car).

The consensus is that you can use the 160k figure, though you are getting close at 150k you have.

The 128K figure would be in line with 80,000 US miles which was used with the older style timing belts, these are new and improved.

dhuddleson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Highline TDI sedan
Smokerr said:
There seems to be a dealer rumor floating around that its now lower, but there has been no documentation or notification sent (and I got the notification for the brake light switch and have not moved since we bought the car).

The consensus is that you can use the 160k figure, though you are getting close at 150k you have.

The 128K figure would be in line with 80,000 US miles which was used with the older style timing belts, these are new and improved.
There is no dealer rumor, the updated number/mileage for timing belt replacement is in revised Maintenance Schedules. If the dealers are in fact pulling BHW schedules from VW's online databases, they will see that as of May 2008, the previous 100k miles belt change is now listed as 80K. I don't think this required any direct mailing to customers, as this is not a recall. My dealer told me it was 80k miles the last time I was at the service counter, and I asked them why the book said 100k. The answer was that it had been revised....

Now, it would be nice if they at least posted it on a notice board at the service counter, or handed us a dated printout on each visit.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around the logic that this is merely a service change interval and not a major notification issue.

A service change interval that if you falin to adhere to that will destroy your engine is not a big deal?

Can anyone get a definitive answer on this? I will ask my local dealer on my next weekend if no one else finds out.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
dhuddleson said:
There is no dealer rumor, the updated number/mileage for timing belt replacement is in revised Maintenance Schedules. If the dealers are in fact pulling BHW schedules from VW's online databases, they will see that as of May 2008, the previous 100k miles belt change is now listed as 80K. I don't think this required any direct mailing to customers, as this is not a recall. My dealer told me it was 80k miles the last time I was at the service counter, and I asked them why the book said 100k. The answer was that it had been revised....

Now, it would be nice if they at least posted it on a notice board at the service counter, or handed us a dated printout on each visit.
It is interesting that if you go online to vw.com and look up the maintenance schedule they still list replace at 100K and check at 80k.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
dhuddleson said:
Recall or not failure to notify owners would put VW on the hook - period. One would think VoA would have learned this lesson with the 1.8T debacle.

How do you think this would fly?

- customer follows the schedule as they know it at the local indy shop
- belt fails @ 90,000 miles, engine obliterated

Come to find out VW has an internal memo/TSB stating it should be replaced @ 80,000???

Thanks for the complementary new engine VW, much appreciated.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
dhuddleson said:

A change in the timing belt interval WILL trigger a mailing from VW. I just got one last week for my EOS telling me the TB interval for the 2.0T was changed to 110,000 miles.

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
So what happens then if failure occurs before 100k, but the customer never received the mailed notification?

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
senez said:
So what happens then if failure occurs before 100k, but the customer never received the mailed notification?
If VW made a good faith effort to notify the customer then the customer is SOL..............the issue here is if they do NOT notify anyone but the dealer network of a change in TB maintenance then VW is on the hook.

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
glennrusan said:
My owners manual calls for the timing belt @ 160,000 kilometers, the dealer said that has been changed to 128,000 kilometers.
You may want to read this thread regarding a letter from VW about the timing belt interval.

Just FYI

Diesel on,

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
KALaBenne said:
You may want to read this thread regarding a letter from VW about the timing belt interval.
Read it, opinion is the same - either a mistake was made or they're on the hook. History shows us VoA has a track record of issues due to conflicting/misleading maintenance schedules (1.8T).

As of right now @ vw.com the 80K service says "check" TB.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
senez said:
OK, so in this case, has VW thus far made a good faith effort to contact buyers?
Not me, original owner who hasn't changed location.

MOGolf said:
Thanks, saved that off.

What the heck is it with VoA? Do they enjoy giving out 8yr unlimited mileage warranties? One would figure given the 1.8T debacle is still costing them money they'd avoid a repeat. I guess for them it's "25 times burned, maybe I'll get the hint".

I can see it now -

Plaintiff - yes your honor the engine destructed @ 93,000 miles, I followed the schedule & I had the repair shop check with vw.com during the last scheduled service.

Judge - Mr. VoA did you notify anyone of the updated schedule?

VoA - well you honor we decided to go with a viral campaign, it works very well for advertising so we'd thought we'd do it for maintenance.

BANG! Decision in favor of the plaintiff..........Mr VoA are you an idiot? Get the hell out of my courtroom.

Personally I think it's VW's way to scam out of the BS issue. Update the scheduled maintenance bringing it in before most will fail where the problem will be "discovered" during the TB change. Got the stink of VoA all over it.

Ah well I'm sure somebody will want that brand new building in Herndon :D

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
So long as my book and VW's website tell me my interval is 100k, that's what it is to me.

How am I, as a consumer, supposed to know this has been changed without notification? They can't really expect forums such as this to be the appropriate channels of communication.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
senez said:
So long as my book and VW's website tell me my interval is 100k, that's what it is to me.
I'm no lawyer, but I know a few..........lack of communication is how you end up with an 8 year unlimited mileage warranty letter shown here:

http://www.autosafety.org/uploads/ph...WOilSludge.pdf

And a class action lawsuit that stipulates -

d. whether the grade, viscosity and/or quality of engine lubrication and/or oil change intervals set forth in the owners’ manuals and/or maintenance booklets supplied by Defendants for class vehicles are incorrect

Ya think they'd learn :rolleyes:

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
I am wondering if we have a combiantion of things going on here.

A typo and a service rep passing on the informaiton in htat.

Contradiciting that of course is that they would change it in 2008 for a 2005 model.

I think I am about to join the conspiracy theorists! I.e. there is now a TSB out on the OP/BS issue and its a way to get the car in before the chain breaks. Oh, by the way Mr. Jones, there is a TSB on the oil chain breaking, and its really critical you do this work, otherwise....... oh, and be sure that your credit card has plenty of room for charges.

Do we have an attorney in the group? Class action lawsuit on both counts (20k reduction in anticipated service costs and defective OP/BS/ (and timing belts defective as well?) Yea I am making noise.

Also beign to wonder if there were actually defective timing belts as I recall one that did go too soon. Hmmmmm

glennrusan

TDI
OOPs

Went for a drive today and after 5 minutes I heard a backfire then no power like it was starving for fuel! I limped back home and discovered the boost induction hose popped off the intercoller. Yes I did have a problem with the clip the first time but I've got it now.

pepitotdi

TDI
VW Passat TDI 05
Hello! I got a Passat TDI 05 with 90k. I got a sugestion from a TDI member about Todd Herman (dieseltoyz) here in San Antonio I got the deluxe kit from Dieselgeek, now seems Todd has no too much experience with newer TDIs. Anyone is aware about a reputable garage in San Antonio, Austin or even Dallas that could do the change?? Any help will be appreciated.