2005 Passat TDI AC Relay problem (where to find?)

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
Awesome. My wife's Passat is new since December and we just moved to AZ. Not the time to have AC issues. It took 2 minutes to solder and reconnect. A pretty substantial recharge and done.

KatoomRXC

TDI
2005 Passat
Chock one more up for the TDIclub! A/C quit cooling. Popped the relay, found the typical broken solder joint on the main relay lug, resoldered it, and now have A/C.

2005 Passat Sedan

chrisroser

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS TDI, 05 NB GLS TDI
Just fixed mine this AM. It was intermittent for a few weeks but now with temps approaching 100F with 100% Humidity I couldn't take it anymore.

Ehodg66

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
After replacing my condensor fan (which was shot) my a/c began working intermittently. Thanks to this site, I pulled and soldered my relay (and added a can of refrigerant) and she's blowing cold again. Still needed to find that refrigerant leak though. Thank you for starting this thread!

Toothreaper

TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon
The pictures and info on this thread are golden! I just went through all the reading and pulled the 384 Compressor relay as described and went to sanding the pins down to get oxidation removed. No luck so I found that pics of the relay were listed with it apart and pointed out pics of known solder failures. Found some solder I stole from a junk motherboard and wallah! Stupid cold ac again and no money spent.

The problem for me was most definitely a bad or broken solder connection between one of the three points highlighted in yellow in the before pages of this thread. I was able to fix my own OEM compressor relay with literally zero dollars spent and no purchase on any new parts unless of course you dont already have a solder iron and a spare amount of flux laying around. Good luck to everyone else and if you got the balls to solder this is definitely the problem.

UPDATE, 2/4/2022
After doing this job back in September of last year my vehicle is still blowing cold AC and this fix has definitely held strong.

Last edited: