2005 Passat Diesel

Blueraid

TDI
2003 VW Golf
Guys,

I'm going to look at a 2005 Passat tdi on wed...I've been around TDI's for a while now. Have a 03 Golf right now. Thought about getting a little bigger car for later on. Is there anything I need to know about the Passat's that are different than the Golfs? I've heard the automatic transmissions weren't much in the early 2000's. Did they have this fixed by 2005 or is it one of the bad ones? The car has about 80,000 miles on it so I'll definitly be getting a Timing belt replacement for it if I were to buy it. What else should be done around this mileage? I know my fuel mileage will be less than my Golf but I like the bigger car and think its probably a trade off. Thanks for the help guys. ;)

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Sorry to be blunt here... but after all the known issues with these cars I cannot see why anyone would want one? I say RUN dont walk away from the Passat TDI's. Sad to say but they are not worth the trouble once you factor in the repair cost and risk. Find a Passat 1.8T with a manual tranny or better yet move up to a Passat B6 (2006 + up) with manual 6 speed tranny. Fuel economy is not that far off from the TDI especially if you do mostly highway driving.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The two cars are different platforms.
Two different engines.
Two different transmissions (comparing autos to autos).

Same headlight switches. Same headlight bulbs.
Taillight/brakelight bulbs are different.

Suspensions are different.

Various nuts and bolts are the same but many different ones too. Use the same tire sizes but not the same wheels.

Many maintenance procedures are different.

Etc.

And read more threads in the forum as suggested. Feel free to ask more questions though.

I have an 01 Golf and 05 Passat Variant. There are times when one serves the purpose better than the other.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Guys,

I'm going to look at a 2005 Passat tdi on wed...I've been around TDI's for a while now. Have a 03 Golf right now. Thought about getting a little bigger car for later on. Is there anything I need to know about the Passat's that are different than the Golfs? I've heard the automatic transmissions weren't much in the early 2000's. Did they have this fixed by 2005 or is it one of the bad ones? The car has about 80,000 miles on it so I'll definitly be getting a Timing belt replacement for it if I were to buy it. What else should be done around this mileage? I know my fuel mileage will be less than my Golf but I like the bigger car and think its probably a trade off. Thanks for the help guys. ;)
Its an amazing car, ride and handling are wonderful, a delight to travel in.

Read up on the problems and decide if you want to be the one that correct those.

Its critical that you believe the engine needed to have the VW Oil, its no idle comment, or a VW puff up. The fuel injection cam shaft lobe requires it. If they cannot prove its been fed 505.01 oil walk away from it.

The rest can be dealt with, cam failure is a really expensive one. Once the Balance Shaft - Oil Pump drive is fixed (BS is how you mostly see it) then it has no more issues than most good cars, maybe less.

Blueraid

TDI
2003 VW Golf
Thanks fellas. After reading your posts and other threads I think I'm gonna pass on her. Probably look at getting a newer Jetta. I don't need anymore headaches than I've already got. :p The next car i buy I want to be able to get in and drive without thinking about it.

DrewD

Veteran Member
Thanks fellas. After reading your posts and other threads I think I'm gonna pass on her. Probably look at getting a newer Jetta. I don't need anymore headaches than I've already got. :p The next car i buy I want to be able to get in and drive without thinking about it.
HAHAHHAAH, then don't get a VW, especially one of those new fangled ones with all of this EPA mandated emissions crap.

zkeele

TDI
2000 New Beetle Manual 161,000 miles, 2002 Jetta Wagon Manual GLS 106,000 miles
HAHAHHAAH, then don't get a VW, especially one of those new fangled ones with all of this EPA mandated emissions crap.
I wouldn't get a newer car with all of the EPA emissions crap either. I'd just drive a round a 20 year old piece of $hit the rest of my life.

Funny how someone will say something like this and not know anything about your situation. For all we know your car may be your business car that needs to be fairly new so clients will get the idea that you are at least somewhat successful. You may also be writing it off and need something newer for tax purposes, and if a newer car has warranty you probably aren't going to have the worries of an older car without warranty.

Good grief. :(

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Sorry to be blunt here... but after all the known issues with these cars I cannot see why anyone would want one? I say RUN dont walk away from the Passat TDI's. Sad to say but they are not worth the trouble once you factor in the repair cost and risk. Find a Passat 1.8T with a manual tranny or better yet move up to a Passat B6 (2006 + up) with manual 6 speed tranny. Fuel economy is not that far off from the TDI especially if you do mostly highway driving.
I'd pit the longevity of my B5 TDI against ANY 1.8t-equipped car any day of the week, twice over. And, to be blunt, I'd also pit it against the longevity of any B6 Passat, regardless of engine.

They are great cars once the upgraded bits are taken care of.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Its critical that you believe the engine needed to have the VW Oil, its no idle comment, or a VW puff up. The fuel injection cam shaft lobe requires it. If they cannot prove its been fed 505.01 oil walk away from it.
I'd take a unknown quickie-lube serviced BHW with a balance shaft upgrade before I'd take a 505.01 oiled, but chained, BS car.
The cam replacement is cheap in comparison to the balance shaft upgrade, and apparently 505.01 isn't assurance against cam valve lobe and follower wear.
FWIW: It's not been the roller rocker of the PD injector that has worn on any, just the flat tappet valve train.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd pit the longevity of my B5 TDI against ANY 1.8t-equipped car any day of the week, twice over. And, to be blunt, I'd also pit it against the longevity of any B6 Passat, regardless of engine.

They are great cars once the upgraded bits are taken care of.
On that I agree with you 100% Oilhammer. I loved the car, just disappointed with the issues they have.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
I go along with Oilhammer as well. I really like the car. Yep, I get irritated and even disenchanted when the issues come up, but then I drive it and its, damn this thing sure is a delight.

It also comes with a great site and a terrific group (a few people excpeted but they go away evnetualy).

Two seriously dedicated mechanics to sift out the opinions from real world (they see quantity which we don't) as well as a lot of dedicated do it your self types that are really good.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My point exactly.. It is a great car for the enthusiasts who are dedicated and don't mind wrenching on their cars. For the average person who wants to go from point A to B without issues or worries this is NOT the car for them. I am a VW TDI enthusiast, Have had 3 TDI's all modded. Loved every one of them! I only bought the B6 2.0T because the Passat TDI let me down with tranny failure, and after one month of trying to repair it I could no longer wait. I also got the B6 for 10K less than it was worth so great deal! Had the tranny not failed in the B5.5 I would have spent the $$ to upgrade the BS and keep it. I love the TDI's just as much as most of you guys do if not more! However we have to be realistic... How many of you would still go buy this car knowing what we know today? Unless you are getting a real good deal on one it is not worth the trouble.
Mine is for sale in Montreal if anyone is interested PM me for details. 2004 Wagon with 235000KM's. 17" Audi Mags, Koni shocks, Alligator chip, Asking around 9K.

Boatman

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Jetta, '04 Sprinter, '14 GLK 250
Me too,,,, besides the BS deal there has only been regular maintainence items on this car. And most of those happened father up in the mileage than any other VWAG vehicle I've owed over the years. I had the BS upgrade done at around 90k and it looked okay, some wear. It was done at the same time the TB was done so the cost was minimized.

oilhammer

TDI
I actually almost bought a second, and regret that I didn't. :mad: Then I would have a sedan AND a wagon. :cool:

nuclear

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
You guys are making a good case for someone to back out. Most people would rather not have to consider so many issues just to get an extra ~10 mpg. What kind of standard are we measuring this against?

I had a 93' Mitsubishi mirage that went over 350k miles though 6 years of high school and college, mostly highways miles. It only needed a new head gasket ~$350 repair and a A/C compressor $30 used. My sister now has it

The Problem is that this guy is buying a used vehicle and has no clue what issues he may be inheriting. If it's not the Balance Shaft, it's the cam. If it's not the cam, it's the motor mounts, then there are some infrequent tranny issues (even on this model). Is it really worth all of that headache? it was for me a year ago. I'd rather keep my time now

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
My point exactly.. It is a great car for the enthusiasts who are dedicated and don't mind wrenching on their cars. For the average person who wants to go from point A to B without issues or worries this is NOT the car for them.
Well lets put it this way. I am not setup to work on low cars, the only wrenching I have done on the Passat are the fuel filter and oil changes. Any transmission can fail (had a friend who had a Hyundai go, cost her a fortune for a Korean car.

I have not spent any money are a garage yet. I know I will, but then there are most front wheel drive cars that require the same work (timing belts and front axles).

While I have the technical skill to do the timing belt and toe BS/OP work I am not going to. One is my back pretty well precludes it, and two I long ago found out that one off work is hugely time consuming and failure possibility is high (learning curve).

I just read where Honda had a suspension bracket rusting off, recalled 35k of them (Honda is supposed to be wonderful)

All cars are a risk.

Would I buy it again? I do not know. Its saved huge amounts of money in the fuel mileage (keeping in mind I went from a large SUV to Passat) and its returned a major quality of life (I was getting like Howard Hughs refusing to do the needed errands cause I hated driving in town.) Whats my mental health worth?

Tough call, each has to make their own decision and I will respect that, it is a major help for someone deciding to see the range of views and reasons.

What I don't respect is someone saying THEIR decision is the right one for everyone.

As Oilhammer says, once it has the known fixes you are probably (and I do mean probably) far better off than many others.

A lot of people are buying cares they think are wonderful only to find they have a whole different set of problems. You don't know till you have run the race, and the life time of car ownership is a long race.

oilhammer

TDI
Open to offers.
No, I meant another new one, about 6 months after I bought our 2004 sedan I almost bought a 2005 wagon too, but decided against it.

Once I get this money pit Odyssey straightened out, I may pursue a used one. I just put a new roof on my house, and need headlights for the Golf... sheesh, there is this hoovering sound coming from my bank account lately. ;)

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think Lug Nut means he is open to offers to sell his.... He has never been a fan of the car since day one.

Michael Slade

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat TDI Variant, 01 Golf TDI 4-dr
I picked up a V6 4-mo wagon this fall, I wouldn't mind putting a TDI in it...but I said to myself I was done tearing apart and putting cars back together again after making custom Land Rover #3.

But yeah, now that I know the pratfalls I would definitely consider another one.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
about 6 months after I bought our 2004 sedan I almost bought a 2005 wagon too, but decided against it.
How does that go... "Fool me once: shame on you. Fool me twice: shame on me."?
You are a wise man! Learning from one's mistakes is a sign of intelligence.