2005 NB Headlight Housings Upgrade

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Typical yellowed out, brittle lens, which have probably been polished way too many times. Has anyone found a set of replacement Halogen housings that aren't junk and don't cost a mint and of course, if so, which ones ? Thanks.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Typical yellowed out, brittle lens, which have probably been polished way too many times. Has anyone found a set of replacement Halogen housings that aren't junk and don't cost a mint and of course, if so, which ones ? Thanks.
OEM will always be the best option.
You can wet sand them to get the yellow away. Finish with 1000 ish grit. Bring to body shop and have them shoot a 2 part clear coat next time they mix up a batch. Depending on your OCD, you may need to wet sand and polish off there's some orange peel. They will then outlast the car.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
My

My comment was about restoring the OEM ones
And mine was to OP on what is best. It would be bosch or oem…american lighting.

on edit: personally never had much luck trying the wet sanding route. Ended up using bosch oem and then making them hid. Talk about light. Not cheap, but wow. Did two cars that way. It turned out even better than the oem hid found in the pre 2006 bug.

Last edited:

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
on edit: personally never had much luck trying the wet sanding route
You didn't do the finishing then that I mentioned. 2 part clear coat. They will last forever. I've done plenty of restorations this way.

Did you do a projector retrofit before slapping HIDs in a reflector housing?
If not, tis tis. You are doing a disservice to other people on the road

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
I did use a clear coat actually. The finish wasn’t to my liking.
On the headlights….of course i did a complete hid projector retro. Is there another way? Did it in such a way that i was also able to retain the stock brights. That was over 5 years ago.
I’ve so far retro’d a 2001 and 2003 bug, installed a set of oem HID in another two bugs and retro’d my 2016 chevy diesel.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Are ANY of the OEM ones available anymore? Last time(s) I've checked, none were. Nothing from Volkswagen, nor any Bosch, Hella, or MM branded ones either. Just random levels of Chinabrights. In which TYC brand usually is the least awful and generally fit in and at least work.

The later (ugly facelift) 2006+ lamps may still be available, but that would require changing some other stuff as they have an improved (much better) mount arrangement. And then you're still probably looking at a grand for everything.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I did use a clear coat actually. The finish wasn’t to my liking.
On the headlights….of course i did a complete hid projector retro. Is there another way? Did it in such a way that i was also able to retain the stock brights. That was over 5 years ago.
I’ve so far retro’d a 2001 and 2003 bug, installed a set of oem HID in another two bugs and retro’d my 2016 chevy diesel.
Glad to see there are still people out there that want to do it right and care about others on the road!

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Are ANY of the OEM ones available anymore? Last time(s) I've checked, none were. Nothing from Volkswagen, nor any Bosch, Hella, or MM branded ones either. Just random levels of Chinabrights. In which TYC brand usually is the least awful and generally fit in and at least work.

The later (ugly facelift) 2006+ lamps may still be available, but that would require changing some other stuff as they have an improved (much better) mount arrangement. And then you're still probably looking at a grand for everything.
TYC, the least awful. I like that. I havent seen new oem ones for quite some time. I did buy 2 oem HID retro kits for the 2002-2005 NB in 2021 on ebay but they are also now sold out and gone.
The 2006 and later VW brand are somewhat more available at least on ecstuning.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
I have had the worst luck the last two sets of canisters I ordered, lol. The adjusters just don't make the lights move at all when I turn CW or CCW, don't even know which way to turn to make it go up or down, probably stripped again. Would you guys shop Parts Geek for the TYC brand you "recommended", lol? I assume would need to get the SAE/DOT versions since USA, although the first ones in the page aren't. https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2..._electrical/headlight_assembly.html?brand=tyc