2005 Jetta BEW crank no start, G28 code. "solved", picture

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
@DuraBioPwr nice idea about mounting a new ring externally ... I suppose one could take the harmonic balancer (I haven't actually looked at it so this might not be possible) and machine marks into the edge!

But yes, this is the reluctor ... there are two places where there are no two "missing" teeth. They come somewhat before top dead center, apparently. But my reluctor as an additional spot!

The cool thing is I have developed my algorithm and now I can actually label the positions on the signal...this means I can develop the signal-injection routine and then switch to an engineering approach and start specing things out, fine-tuning the algorithms and the parameters, do timing tests on microcontrollers, design the electronics, etc.

output of my R&D software ... the colored marks are all generated by code using only information available before the event, illustrating the possibility of doing this in realtime
So, let me get this straight, you're trying to write into the ecm that the crank sensor signal is normal? That's kinda cool.
I had a similar situation on an isb cummins in a freightliner m2. They have an external reluctor wheel mounted to the harmonic balancer. At some time during a repair (it may or may not have involved me) a nut fell in behind that reluctor. Once the repair was complete, I started the truck and it fired up, but then died soon after. I looked around and found that a tooth was busted out of the reluctor. Obviously I was not a happy camper. The customer wanted his truck asap, and here it wouldn't run, and a new reluctor was several days out. I pulled it off and welded up a new tooth. I then filed it to the right size and it worked great! I think it wouldn't be too hard to do the same to that one, just drop the oil pan and weld it in place. But, the writing into the ecm for a new signal is really kinda cool.

luxuryrules

TDI
04 Jetta, 99.5 Golf
You are overthinking it. The bolt, the crankcase, the gearbox case, are all grounded together.
Groovy. I’m chasing that condition you mentioned where the starter works ok but the block connection is suspect? Or if I have a good ground from that cable to the bolt should I be in good shape?

ejb11235

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Mk IV
I've given up on the idea of building an electric module to simulate a fully-functioning reluctor wheel. It was fun playing around with the idea but I don't really have time. On the other hand, dropping the oil pan and welding a new tooth on is a very interesting idea if it could be done. Having said that ... my solution is: buy another car (2016 TSI gas Golf Sportwagon) and sell the TDI and let someone else decide what they want to do.

Regarding the ground connection ... if I recall, one of the transmission bolts has a stud coming out of it that ground connection is attached to with a nut. I think the recommendation was that even if the nutted connection is solid, the connection from the studded bolt to the actual engine block can be bad.

R-TDIGR

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF TDI
Found it:

Oilhammer, can this also be done on a pd130 golf. Ecu has different pinout so what pins should be used here?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
................................Regarding the ground connection ... if I recall, one of the transmission bolts has a stud coming out of it that ground connection is attached to with a nut. I think the recommendation was that even if the nutted connection is solid, the connection from the studded bolt to the actual engine block can be bad.
Chase the threads, wire wheel the bolt, attach the wire, and guess what. Conductivity happens....till the next time.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I think my 2005 is different. It has a shielded cable that has 3 wires in it ... all three go into pins on the ECU connector. But the shield on the cable isn't connected to anything.
That is almost correct, the shield wire goes to the ECU pin 86 on ALH engines.
Not sure if it's the same on the BEW engine but I would think so.