2005 Golf oil pressure issue 88k miles

Therast

TDI
2001 jetta, 2005 Golf
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I purchased a 2005 golf about 18 months ago with about 88k miles on it. I purchased it from a friend who is a mechanic. As far as I know the car had belonged to an elderly gentleman and when my friend purchased it the car ran but the car had been sitting so long the turbo was seized. He replaced the turbo and cleaned out the oil pickup and he said that the turbo had sent debris into the pan. I took possession of the car and drove it about 11 miles round trip to an inspection station. The car made a significant amount of noise when the rpm’s are higher than approx 1800. The oil light came on 2 times for less than 5 seconds during that trip. I aborted the trip and took the car back and told my friend that something did not seem right and the oil light had come on. 4 months later he inspected the bottom end. He said the bearings looked great. He had a set of cam bearings and a cam and installed them both. He said that the west was “very minor “. I drove the car again with the same results. Perfect at idle and noise above 1800 rpms. Oil light on briefly a couple times. I took the car back again and he said that he would replace the oil pump. 4 months have passed and no fix and no oil pump so I replaced the oil pump myself yesterday. (8/26). I should say that my friend (mechanic) is trustworthy but overworked and therefore my car is definitely on the back burner.

I have owned 23 VW diesels. I really like this car and would like to fix it because I believe it has many more miles in it.

I am totally new to PD cars. The following are my theories.
I believe that at idle the car makes sufficient oil pressure. At elevated rpms it seems that the oil is not returning fast enough to the pan. I have not hooked up a manual gauge to verify my theory. If I let the car idle and then rev it up to 2000, initially the car sounds fine then makes the sound which makes me suspicious that it is not getting enough oil.

In another thread I read about these aluminum plugs that frequently fall out on the rocker arms?? Could this explain the symptoms I have described??

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
I would definitely pull the valve cover and look at the injector rocker arms for the missing plugs that might be why you don’t have any oil pressure.

Therast

TDI
2001 jetta, 2005 Golf
I have been brainstorming this concept. Am i correct that there are 4 plugs total? if say 3 of the 4 were out it would cause the oil to pool in the top of the engine and at a high enough RPM there would be insufficient oil in the pan?

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
My guess it would be it would drop oil pressure because all the oils gonna take the path of least resistance.