• Server migration complete
    In the early morning of September 26, 2020, our migration to new servers was completed.
    Things seem to be working as expected, but if you notice any issues including not receiving email notifications,
    please vistit this thread for more details

2005 Beetle PD no start after injector wiring issues

ken.fresno-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
95 Eurovan EVC camper with 98 AHU engine (VeganVan02); 01 Jetta ALH engine and parts - waiting for transplant into 97 Eurovan (VeganVan03);05 BEW Beetle
Hi all, trying to figure out a no-start on my 2005 Beetle PD with 180,500 miles. Daughter's car; hardly driven the past several months because we are all stuck at home. It's always had a slight starting issue - need to crank it for about 3 or 4 seconds before it starts, but then it runs fine. About 3 months ago it would stumble on 3 cylinders at start up but after a few seconds I would turn off the car and restart and it would run fine and never a problem for the rest of the day. It occasionally threw a code so I ran VCDS and got a P0301 misfire on cyl 1. This kept happening for about 2 months but it always cleared itself after a few seconds and a restart. I fnally took the valve cover off and tried to squeeze the electrical contacts as described in various YouTube videos. That didn't help and, at the problem seemed to get worse; I ran VCDS and got the following codes. Yikes!
17674 - PD Unit Injector: Cylinder 3 (N242)
P1266 - 000 - Implausible Signal
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1512 /min
Torque: 164.0 Nm
Speed: 6.0 km/h
Load: 59.2 %
Voltage: 13.38 V
Inj. Quantity: -1.65 mg/str
Temperature: 33.3∞C
(no units): 0.0
17671 - PD Unit Injector: Cylinder 2 (N241)
P1263 - 000 - Implausible Signal
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1449 /min
Torque: 186.0 Nm
Speed: 7.0 km/h
Load: 59.2 %
Voltage: 13.38 V
Inj. Quantity: -2.78 mg/str
(no units): 16.0
17668 - PD Unit Injector: Cylinder 1 (N240)
P1260 - 000 - Implausible Signal
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 966 /min
Torque: 166.0 Nm
Speed: 6.0 km/h
Load: 33.7 %
Voltage: 13.30 V
Inj. Quantity: -2.99 mg/str
17677 - PD Unit Injector: Cylinder 4 (N243)
P1269 - 000 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2016 /min
Torque: 58.0 Nm
Speed: 38.0 km/h
Load: 53.7 %
Voltage: 13.45 V
Inj. Quantity: 2.96 mg/str
Temperature: 35.1∞C
16688 - Cylinder 4
P0304 - 000 - Misfire Detected
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 882 /min
Torque: 98.0 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 13.00 V
Inj. Quantity: 2.96 mg/str
Temperature: 63.9∞C

It finally would not start, even after charging the battery and getting good cranking speed. It all appeared to be an electrical issue connected with the injector wiring loom and since that seems to be a common issue with the PD engines I replaced it with a new one. I tried starting it and now I have no codes from VCDS but also no start, just a good crank with a charged up battery. I went into VCDS basic settings group 035 to check the in-tank fuel pump; it puts out a good amount of fuel - about a quart in 15 seconds I would say. I hadn't disconnected any lines prior to that check so I am assuming there is not a fuel prime issue and I didn't think PD engines had much of a priming issue. Now what? I'm assuming that VCDS would tell me if the injectors were not receiving a signal, e.g., if the large plug on the new injector loom was not seated correctly. Or should I check for continuity or resistance on those? What else to look for? Timing? - I put a new timing belt on about 5000 miles ago; I suppose it is not impossible that it slipped a tooth but doubtful. Maybe just out of range though? Tandem pump? Injectors? Camshaft wear? When looking for solutions I saw a warning about not using bio-diesel on PD engines; I'd never known that before. I do use some 20 - 30% occasionally. I've never run veggie oil in the engine. Thanks in advance to help me think this one through!

ken.fresno-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
95 Eurovan EVC camper with 98 AHU engine (VeganVan02); 01 Jetta ALH engine and parts - waiting for transplant into 97 Eurovan (VeganVan03);05 BEW Beetle
So I did one more test today to try to sort out if this is an electrical or fuel issue. I pulled the return fuel line off from the T in the fuel filter, plugged the filter line, and then stuck the return hose into a 1 quart jar. I then used VCDS group 35 to turn on the in tank fuel pump to see if fuel would go through the tandem pump, injectors, and return to the jar. Nothing. But I'm not sure if I should have got anything. I then cranked the starter for about 20 seconds so the tandem pump would spin. A very small amount of fuel came out, but nothing comparable to what the in tank pump was putting out. What does that tell me? Problem with the tandem pump (from a few threads I read they rarely go bad)? Problem with all four injectors plugged up? Seems unlikely but I suppose possible. Still no codes in VCDS...