2005 Beetle BEW - no start

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Folks,

I started having problems with my 2005 Beetle last Winter. Once it got warm, it would suddenly quit. I could turn the key off, then restart it and it might run for ten minutes, or it might suddenly quit. I parked it and figured I look at it once it was warmer (I've got several VWs to choose from.....).

Today I tried starting it. It would just crank, but not start. I removed the fuel line to the fuel filter and cycled the key. I've got fuel coming out of the fuel line, so I know the lift pump is working. I also noticed the glow plug light was flashing when I turned the key to the on position.

I scanned with VCDS and saw the following codes:

19463 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
17056 - Cylinder 2 Glow Plug Circuit (Q11)
18072 - Control Circuit for PD Injectors P1664 - 000 - Electrical Malfunction

I cleared those codes, tried starting it again. Same as before, crank but no start. I scanned again and get the following code:

16705 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28) P0321 - 000 - Implausible Signal

I am thinking of ordering a new PD BEW injector electrical harness and replacing that first unless someone has had a similar problem that was caused by something else? Or is there something else I should check or test? Thank you.

Eric

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Folks,

I started having problems with my 2005 Beetle last Winter. Once it got warm, it would suddenly quit. I could turn the key off, then restart it and it might run for ten minutes, or it might suddenly quit. I parked it and figured I look at it once it was warmer (I've got several VWs to choose from.....).

Today I tried starting it. It would just crank, but not start. I removed the fuel line to the fuel filter and cycled the key. I've got fuel coming out of the fuel line, so I know the lift pump is working. I also noticed the glow plug light was flashing when I turned the key to the on position.

I scanned with VCDS and saw the following codes:

19463 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
17056 - Cylinder 2 Glow Plug Circuit (Q11)
18072 - Control Circuit for PD Injectors P1664 - 000 - Electrical Malfunction

I cleared those codes, tried starting it again. Same as before, crank but no start. I scanned again and get the following code:

16705 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28) P0321 - 000 - Implausible Signal

I am thinking of ordering a new PD BEW injector electrical harness and replacing that first unless someone has had a similar problem that was caused by something else? Or is there something else I should check or test? Thank you.

Eric
Did you checK:

Other 2 can be searched at

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Wonnober, Arcking,

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I've checked the codes and information at Ross-Tech. Still haven't done anything with the car, too many other projects going on at the moment. I'm ordering a G28 speed sensor and will give that a try. I'll post back later this week after swapping it out.

Eric

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
Folks,

I replaced the G28 sensor and still no start. No codes either. I will say what a pain to get that bolt out and an odd size: 9mm 12 point bolt.

Frustrating.

Eric

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
Codes sometimes require a certain number of cycles to set the code. You first had an electrical injector control circuit malfunction code. Something is really wrong in the wires or connections to set that one off. Do a continuity check between the end points of the wires. Maybe start with the plug at the injectors and work your way back. Usually end points or connectors are the first place to look. Then look for pinched, rubbed or chewed wires.