2005 B5.5 ABS replacement

Diesel lifer

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat SW
My ABS light lighted up and the initial scan was a bad wheel speed sensor. I replaced that, and then the light came back on, with the scan showing a bad wire. I took the car to the dealer (I’m not crazy about wire challenges) and they saw a bad control module on their scan. I haven’t scanned the car yet on return. The dealer said the speed sensor, bearing, and wiring were ok.
I watched a video on replacing the control module on a V6 B5, and it looks tedious but not terribly difficult. I’d take out the washer reservoir to give more access, if that’s not too hard.
The part number I was given is 599764, although I found 8E0 614 111E and -111A also. I think one‘s the module, one the pump. The part is not available thru VW, but myriad offerings are available on line. I’m kinda leery of used parts - used electronic parts don’t seem too smart, but there are some aftermarket and rebuilt out there.
Any ideas or advice on replacement of the control module, and how to program the replacement? My repair manual says the dealer has to reprogram it. I have the Ross-Tech scanner.

Thanks,
Jeff

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
My ABS light lighted up and the initial scan was a bad wheel speed sensor. I replaced that, and then the light came back on, with the scan showing a bad wire. I took the car to the dealer (I’m not crazy about wire challenges) and they saw a bad control module on their scan. I haven’t scanned the car yet on return. The dealer said the speed sensor, bearing, and wiring were ok.
I watched a video on replacing the control module on a V6 B5, and it looks tedious but not terribly difficult. I’d take out the washer reservoir to give more access, if that’s not too hard.
The part number I was given is 599764, although I found 8E0 614 111E and -111A also. I think one‘s the module, one the pump. The part is not available thru VW, but myriad offerings are available on line. I’m kinda leery of used parts - used electronic parts don’t seem too smart, but there are some aftermarket and rebuilt out there.
Any ideas or advice on replacement of the control module, and how to program the replacement? My repair manual says the dealer has to reprogram it. I have the Ross-Tech scanner.

Thanks,
Jeff
I'll have to look at the one I have, you can reprogram them with vcds, its a little bit tedious to do the programming, but you can use a used module. I did it on my W8 Passat which had the exact same issue.
If you need, I have a known good abs module from my 2005 Passat wagon TDI that I parted out. I had taken it off to try it on my W8, but it didn't work there since the part numbers didn't match.
I'd say maybe $50 shipped in the usa would do it.
Or you can send your module to cheapabs.com which is a company that specializes in those Bosch abs modules.

Diesel lifer

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat SW
I'll have to look at the one I have, you can reprogram them with vcds, its a little bit tedious to do the programming, but you can use a used module. I did it on my W8 Passat which had the exact same issue.
If you need, I have a known good abs module from my 2005 Passat wagon TDI that I parted out. I had taken it off to try it on my W8, but it didn't work there since the part numbers didn't match.
I'd say maybe $50 shipped in the usa would do it.
Or you can send your module to cheapabs.com which is a company that specializes in those Bosch abs modules.
Thanks for your info and advice. How do we effect this exchange?
Jeff

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

yadic

TDI
just looking
Read More
Thanks,
Jeff
  1. Confirm Diagnosis: Use your Ross-Tech scanner to confirm the ABS control module fault.
  2. Source a Replacement Module: Buy a new, aftermarket, or rebuilt ABS control module matching the part numbers 599764, 8E0 614 111E, or 8E0 614 111A.
  3. Prepare for Replacement: Watch instructional videos and refer to your repair manual. Removing the washer reservoir for better access is a good idea.
  4. Replace Module:
    • Disconnect the battery.
    • Remove the existing ABS control module.
    • Install the new module.
  5. Program the New Module: Use your Ross-Tech scanner to perform coding and adaptations as per the scanner's instructions.
  6. Post-Replacement Check: Clear any fault codes and test drive to ensure the ABS light stays off and the system functions correctly.

Diesel lifer

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat SW
Thanks for all the information. I have removed the control module - boy was that fun, but I persisted and it's out - and will send it to the abs repair folks.
I tried to remove the washer fluid reservoir mostly for fear I'd bust it moving it around, but found it is nigh on impossible to remove without, say, disassembling the rest of the car. A little effort and yes, a hole drilled in the fender well did the trick.
Jeff