2004 Passat Mfr. Buyback in MA, 15k miles

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I visited this car yesterday and inspected the VWoA buyback documentation. It doesn't say too much. Something about low power, re-flashed ECu and installed a new fuel filter.

It turns out that the seller (dealer) is someone I have known for quite a few years. They are located next to Shine Racing in Walpole and he deals in late model hi-line cars. He is doing the "wholsale to the public" thing. It's a very accurate description of his business. He has a lot of cars and has rapid inventory turnover. He has no mechanical repair facilities and the cars are not detailed or anything unless it was done prior to rolling down the auction line. What you see is what you get. If you're looking for a great value and can handle some amount of dust and provide a little TLC, he would be a good local person to know. They also have a nice collection of Ducatis
One was being loaded up and shipped to its new owner in San Fran. when I arrived.

He has a 1999 E300D that I spent the day driving yesterday.
YIKES, talk about "diesel power"...that machine brings a new meaning to the phrase!

2004 Passat TDi: I assume the car is a GL. It is very plain. The body and interior appear to be perfect. it's grey with a grey inertior, no roof, plastic wheel covers. Assuming the car is OK (I did not drive it), it would be a great value for someone. It has about 13k miles and was owned by someone in RI. The car appears new, I saw no marks or signs of wear.

CARFAX inaccurately sez:

The story of this 2004 VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT GL TDI (WVWME63BX4E277377) according to our interpretation of the information reported to CARFAX:
This sedan has had 1 owner in Rhode Island.
It has had no minor or moderate accidents reported to CARFAX.
It has had no DMV-reported total loss events, like a major accident, fire or flood.
It has not been reported by a DMV as having an Exceeds Mechanical Limits or Not Actual Mileage title.
It has a consistent mileage history with no indication of an odometer rollback. The last odometer reading, reported on 05/24/2005, was 15,428 miles.
It was not reported by a DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback (LEMON).
CARFAX estimates it has 31 months or 34,572 miles remaining on the basic warranty.

CARFAX searched more than 3 billion records from over 5,300 sources and found 7 record(s) for this 2004 VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT GL TDI (WVWME63BX4E277377).

Date:
Mileage Reading:
Source:
General Comments:

Not Reported NICB
Vehicle manufactured and shipped to original
dealer

04/27/2004 10 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced

05/04/2004 Rhode Island
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Charlestown, RI
Registered as personal vehicle

05/14/2004 Dealer Inventory
Rhode Island
Vehicle sold

09/16/2004 Rhode Island
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Charlestown, RI
First owner reported

05/24/2005 15,428 Auto Auction
Sold at auction in New England Region Listed as a fleet vehicle

05/25/2005 Dealer Inventory
Walpole, MA

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
He has a 1999 E300D that I spent the day driving yesterday.
YIKES, talk about "diesel power"...that machine brings a new meaning to the phrase!

You ought to drive one regularly that has been chipped.

Having done so now for several thousand miles, I cannot imagine driving ours without that modification.

I only wish I'd done it sooner.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Derrel, no doubt. OTOH, I will say the car offers staggering performance in stock configuration.

Have you been able to compare your fuel consumption (before/after)?

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
I think I saw that car sitting at Fiore VW for a few weeks....not sure....but it looks exactly like a car that they had there

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Chipped W-210 E-300 DT

Sorry about hi-jacking this thread.

Derrel: Which chip is in your 300D? You have a 99, right?

SpeedTuning, Spencerville MD. #46K9295286476100E
It's is an early '99, built 09/98.

This chip is supposed to be the more powerful one of at least two that are available.
It's supposed to give the car 45 additional horsepower for a total of about 218,
but more importantly, torque goes up to 420 nm or almost 310 ft/lb!
That's a gain of over 65 ft/lb.
Talk to Oliver Bentson. He says that there are approximately two dozen of these out there.

Derrel, no doubt.
OTOH, I will say the car offers staggering performance in stock configuration.

Have you been able to compare your fuel consumption (before/after)?

Yes indeed, I have. It's all down in my log.

Driven the same as before the chip, fuel economy is either the same or slightly better.
This is when using Arco ECD-1 ULSD almost exclusively.

Of course, when driven using that extra power most of the time at speeds
I do not want to admit, mileage falls, but not by all that much.
I've averaged 27.51 mpg for the last 3,387 miles at way over
legal speeds, 2/3 interstate, the rest local city traffic.
This includes seven runs at the drag strip.
Best time for the 1/8 mile was 9.865 seconds at 70.1 mph. One 60 foot time was only 2.13 seconds.

Since then, I've found that the air filter was filthy, so I put in a new one which seemed to help a little.
Also, I just installed a new fuel filter because it felt like it was laying
down just as I hit third gear, which it now no longer does!

I use the second gear start feature most of the time.
If I allow it start in first gear, it is really hard to make a nice gentle easy start in traffic,
as it now has a tendency to want to sort of explode off the line.
Gentle starts in first gear are indeed possible, but I have to just
barely touch the throttle as if I was stepping on egg shells.
It is easier to just keep it in the 'W' setting and use second gear starts all the time.

Now that it has this additional torque, it really would benefit from a set of 2.65s same as the new CDIs have.
With the 3.07s that it now has, it has surprised a few unsuspecting hot rodders types on the interstate.
It seems to always be in the 1800 to 3000 rpm range, just where it has all of that 300+ ft/lb torque.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
harvieux, thanks for the mention. I had not seen anything on this issue.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Passat Mfr. Buyback in MA, reserve lowered

eBay Note: The seller lowered the reserve price.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Passat in MA

OK, he's got another one...this car looks like the twin and has 15k miles:

web page

in Walpole MA next door to Shine Racing