2004 Jetta TDI Transmission Issues

Fafik

TDI
'04 jetta, '15 golf
I have a '04 Jetta TDI (5-spd auto/tip-tronic transmission) which experienced transmission issued about 8 months ago when parked overnight in winter conditions. The transmission did not want to shift out of first and second gear until the engine warmed up. I replaced the complete solenoid kit, gear oil and gasket. The car was working perfect until cold weather hit again. VW diagnostic scanner is indicating a solenoid problem, but after clearing the code the transmission works fine until the code comes back. Brand new solenoids should last way longer then that. Wondering if anyone has experienced the same or a similar issue and has a potential solution.
Thanks

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I remember reading about this cold issue being common. Reading your post it seems the fix is the zero start block warmer as it would heat the tranny as well.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Fafik

TDI
'04 jetta, '15 golf
Solenoids kit.

Where did you get your solenoids? Everyone recommends getting them from https://cobratransmission.com/jf506e...SAAEgKhu_D_BwE. I have problems with my 2005 Jetta TDI shifting from 3rd to 4th. Am going to replace all with the Cobra kit.

I got my solenoids kit from a reputable VW/Audi parts supplier : https://wolfsburgtuning.com/
Most of the parts they sell are either Genuine VW/Audi parts or made by the same manufacture under different logo. Check them out.

Ewalt1

TDI
04 Jetta & 15 Passat
Hey all, I am having this same issue right now. My baby has 234,000 miles nad I want to keep her going. It won't shift out of 1st until I'm about 3-4 blocks from home on cold days. BUT, one day I warmed up the car and it didn't do it. Took to my mechanic and he gave me a bunch of expensive options cuz of transmission codes coming up on his end. I was going to have my mechanic flush and refill the tranny fluid. He says he also has an additive (from his transmission guy) that he could add that might help. Any suggestions?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Sometimes the solenoids can fix it, sometimes it is the valve body (which comes complete WITH all new solenoids). I'd also splice in a new ATF temp sensor (part of the harness, but you cannot replace the whole harness without disassembling the whole transmission... thanks, Jatco).