2004 Jetta BEW (PD) overheating

jvdm

TDI
2000 / non TDI 2002 Miata
Hi all,

I have a strange problem with my 2004 Jetta TDI with BEW engine (PD). The engine started overheating going uphill. Had to get it towed. First shop did all kinds of checks of the cooling system (incl. pressure) and couldn't reproduce the problem. I picked it up and drove a few miles and it seemed to be back to normal, until I went uphill. Same thing, went up to 260 degrees within a few minutes. 2nd shop changed the thermostat and did a reverse flush. Test drive was ok. Started driving again and then it started overheating even on a flat stretch within a few minutes.
The whole thing started after I had used the AC for about 30 minutes but hadn't used it in a long time. Not sure if that's realted to the issue.
Some other things: Heater won't work either, always blowing cool air; I always let the engine cool down while running after it overheated, sometimes it would leak coolant on the passenger side (below the seat!? fairly far away from the engine), sometimes it wouldn't; both cooling fans come are running when engine is hot.
Any ideas what's going on? Water pump?
Thanks!
J.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
You waterpump has broken it's impeller and needs to be replaced.

How many miles on the car? It may be time to do a complete timing belt system replacement.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
That pump may have just saved you a costly "trust lesson". I watched a youtube video of someone diagnosing the waterpump vs. bad radiator but then he goes onto a mark and pray TB job.... :rolleyes:

Last time I had a vehicle overheat only while under load, it ended up needing a new radiator. Sounds like yours started as a slipping pump, and now has just completely spun.

Last edited:

jvdm

TDI
2000 / non TDI 2002 Miata
So true Dunno513!! Never trust anyone. Glad the the pump went first and not the belt. Radiator should be fine, the guy at the 2nd shop said it was "gushing" when he flushed and that would (ususally) mean it's ok.

Thanks all, glad that this forum exists!

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather