2004 Golf PD engine ticking with rpm speed?

Ryder1032

TDI
2004 Golf BEW
Hey everyone, so I’ve got a 2004 Golf with the BEW pd100 engine in it sitting at 335,000kms (canadian car). I bought the car at 301k and since I bought it there’s always been a slight ticking that sounds almost like a valve tick or just an injector open/closing tick that increases or decreases at the engines rpm, however it’s never caused any issues whatsoever since I’ve got the car. I checked all the valve/injector clearances when I got it and everything was in spec, no damage to the cam or lifters whatsoever. I went to get a Malone stage 2 tune done just recently and the shop told me that the tick is not normal and he wouldn’t reccomend the tune as I most likely have camshaft issues. Took the car home, checked everything over again and still looks completely normal and everything in the same spec as before. Has anyone ran into issues with these engines with a “ticking” noise? The best way I could describe it as an injector or valve ticking sound but again I’ve never had issues with the car idling, running bad etc anything. Any help is appreciated.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
I'd remove the serpentine belt to make sure it's not a pulley. I've had an ac compressor and alternator tick before.

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
Yup, I think I have the ticking you’re talking about, mine is cam lobe one wear and is causing starting issues sometimes….cam change coming up in a few weeks, it’s inevitable on these PD engines and with 335k KMS, you’re right in that area, I’m getting my timing belt and cam done at the same time.

zslnk

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI, 3rd gen Cummins 2500, ALH Sedan
The DMF can tick. Can you narrow it down with a mechanics stethocope?

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
I'd remove the serpentine belt to make sure it's not a pulley. I've had an ac compressor and alternator tick before.
I had a shock tensioner worn out and cause a ticking sound. Easy to check just grab it and wiggle. It should be pretty solid and not loose. At least you can rule it out if it's not the issues

Ryder1032

TDI
2004 Golf BEW
Yup, I think I have the ticking you’re talking about, mine is cam lobe one wear and is causing starting issues sometimes….cam change coming up in a few weeks, it’s inevitable on these PD engines and with 335k KMS, you’re right in that area, I’m getting my timing belt and cam done at the same time.
I just did the timing belt on the car and when I inspected it all everything was in great condition and no damage or wear whatsoever to any of the internals, that’s why I don’t think it’s to do with the cam or lifters. On yours does your cam have physical damage to it or just worn through the lobes?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
What happened when you disconnected the serpentine belt? Lots of things can make that sound.

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
I just did the timing belt on the car and when I inspected it all everything was in great condition and no damage or wear whatsoever to any of the internals, that’s why I don’t think it’s to do with the cam or lifters. On yours does your cam have physical damage to it or just worn through the lobes?
Mine has visible wear on lobe one, unless you’ve seen a worn BEW cam lobe before, it might not look bad…and with 335k kms, if that’s the original cam it’ll need replacing soon….where abouts are you located?

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Watch my video on utube user mittzlepick jetta tdi intake noise

Ryder1032

TDI
2004 Golf BEW
Been working late all week and finally got a chance to pop the belt off at my lunch break, turns out it’s my AC pulley making the ticking noise so not the cam or anything internally luckily.
Watch my video on utube user mittzlepick jetta tdi intake noise
I watched your video and mine doesn’t sound like that at all, I find that’s almost a thumping from the cam beating and it doesn’t sound like that whatsoever.

Does anyone have a link or a personal picture of a worn BEW cam? Can’t seem to find anything accurate off Google. Thanks again everyone for all the help.

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI

Ryder1032

TDI
2004 Golf BEW
Yeah definitely no damage or wear like the pictures, I don’t think I have anything to worry about with my cam. Thanks everyone for the help!

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
To chime in on this thread: I've got a 2005 wagon, now with just under 162K miles. I've never had the cam cover off this thing, though I've had the TB job done twice now. (Because of my lack of confidence, both times I paid somebody who knew what they were doing to do the TB job.) Other than an occasional slow start, especially if it's been sitting for a week, it starts and runs well.

Is it relatively easy to remove the top cover to inspect the cam? Should I be getting worried about it with 162K on it? At what mileage does cam wear usually begin to show?

Thanks--

PS-- great photos in that link above - thanks to the OP!