2004 BEW - What to harvest?

johnsonbz

TDI
2004 GLS TDI Wagon
I have a 2004 Jetta Wagon in great shape. Neighbor has a 2004 TDI sedan that his kid rolled on its side in a ditch last month. They delivered it back to their driveway, body panels are pretty rough, now nobody can find a key.....
It is going to the wrecking yard soon. He offered me parts if I want before it goes away.... Door cards are in great shape. grabbing those.... What other parts should I grab to keep that people are always looking for? Motor works still 289K auto tempted to keep it all, but no real room. Please toss me some ideas on what to harvest.

Starter?
Turbo?
Alternator?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Motor, especially the turbo, if you don’t want the motor, then all the accessories, alternator, ac, power steering etc. steering rack, rear axle, driver seat if it matches yours and is in good shape. Harvesting the turbo is a $700-1000 bonus. If my neighbor told me that there wouldn’t be much left to send to the junkyard.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
If you have a BEW, I would be grabbing the head. Besides the already mentioned stuff.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Cup holder center console, Jack, spare tire, grille (easy repaint), sunroof control, glove box door, arm rest assy with mount, rear seats will work in your wagon, siphon all the diesel out (free!)

johnsonbz

TDI
2004 GLS TDI Wagon
Great Ideas... thanks all. I will take a few hours tomorrow and see what will happen.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
FYI - the Sedan rear door cards, will not fit the Wagon rear doors. The upper section is a different shape at the back of the door.

The bottom of their passenger seat (assuming same color/material) is a direct replacement for the drivers bottom of you car. The bottom cushions are not driver/passenger specific.

Any trim items forward of the back doors should swap over if it is in better condition that yours.

johnsonbz

TDI
2004 GLS TDI Wagon
The bottom of their passenger seat (assuming same color/material) is a direct replacement for the drivers bottom of you car. The bottom cushions are not driver/passenger specific.
This here ^ worth gold.... thank you

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
I wish the upper sections were similar, but given the “outside” airbag and adjustment knobs, the upper sections are very much so driver/passenger specific.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Kinda funny - when I bought my ALH Golf two months ago, the seller referred me to an acquaintance half a mile away, where I harvested parts off her late husband's '01 ALH, before it too went to the junkyard. That was fun. Even better that I didn't have to use the crappy Harbor Freight tools I bought, because her late husband had Snap-on in the garage.

That said, I would agree with everyone else on taking the turbo and head. Maybe the oil pan if it's still intact (after you drain it, of course)? I wouldn't bother with the headlights unless they're brand new, given that the wires inside usually have cracked insulation, and the lenses are yellowed usually.