2004 Allroad BHW Conversion

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
96 A6 Avant TDI Quattro, 04 Jetta Wagon
I should have clarified... I'm used to working on four and five cylinder inline engines. This v6 is just such a pain to work on. And even after going through everything, doing timing belt, valve cover gaskets and more, it still leaks oil. I don't care anymore lol.

But it is a great engine to drive! Power is great, mine is chipped, catless, and has an rs4 clutch. I love the instant heat as well and heated steering wheel in my 01. It's just working on it that I hate... And it's a total pig fuel economy wise.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Oh yes I agree with that too. The 2005 had bent exhaust valves when it bought it so I had to pull the heads off. Even after using new valve cover gaskets and then resealing them with VW silicon mine leaked. The culprit was the round rubber can cap at the back of the head. Aftermarket ones are slightly undersized. Getting the VW ones stopped it.

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
Chaloux,

I used the stock Passat BHW engine mounts. I got a pair of new ones because it looked like one of them had started to leak. From what I remember, they were pretty reasonable for hydraulic mounts. They drop right into the subframe mounts of the 2.7T without any modification.

I got my transmission from Frans @ Dutch Auto, it was $1400CAD including tax, duty and shipping. I was really impressed with the packaging and shipping, showed up in my driveway on a pallet 4 days after I wired money.

So far my clutch setup seems to be holding just fine with very nice pedal feel. Getting retuned next week and hope it will keep holding.

Vwztips, I moved pins around get power to my reverse lights and ended up getting a MAF code. Back to the drawing board. Malone did mention that I had a bit of an oddball BHW ECU, maybe that has something to do with my funky codes.

I've been doing boost logs in preparation for the retune. It's not exactly fast in its current state but it can certainly get out of it's own way on a pretty stock tune. Hoping it will get a little more pep next week.

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm trying to get rid of the ABS light and flashing E-Brake light.

Malone sent me these instructions, but I'm not having any luck. Has anyone else done this for a BHW manual conversion?

This might help clear the ABS code:

How to Recode a Passat BHW TDI ECU from Automatic to Manual

1. Disconnect the TCM (Transmission Control Module)
2. Obtain ECU tune from Malone Tuning Ltd and write it to the vehicle.
3. With VCDS (VAG-COM), open “Engine”
4. Click “Coding” or “Coding II” and change the last digit from “4″ (Automatic) to “1″ (Manual). i.e. 0150034 changed to 0150031. Click “Do It”. You will see a message that says Coding Accepted. Click OK.
5. Close the Engine controller.

Now move on to the ABS controller:

1. With VCDS (VAG-COM), open “ABS”
2. Click Login to enable coding, try 09555
3. Enter Soft coding 04255
4. Login to enable Basic Settings (40168)
5. Do G85 calibration in Basic Settings channel 001
All the above VCDS actions must be done in one session. i.e. do not disconnect VCDS or you’ll have to start over.

When I try and enter the engine soft coding, it won't take it. I get an Error 31:Request out of range.

When I try and login to the ABS module, it seems to accept the login code and then VagCom locks up and I get " No response from controller".

I'm wondering if this is an issue with the ECU not being tuned correctly to allow me to recode it to manual or I'm doing something wrong....

Edit: It appears to be an issue with the tune as it will accept other coding, like the automatic climate control for example. Still curious to know if others have had to do this.

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
There is nothing "oddball" about your ECU. There are not multiple ones for the BHW.

As for your coding, you cannot change the 150034 to 150031 with the VCDS. The tuner has to do that with his programming.

It appears they have not changed the ECU to the manual profile.

Need to know what ABS module you have. Hopefully it is Bosch 5.3 or 5.7.
If 5.7 the above procedure will work. If 5.3 you just go into the soft coding and change it to the 01E gearbox coding option.
Most likely your issue is, like you said, the ECU is programmed for the automatic.

In the end you may still need further assistance from the tuner. Mine had no light but did throw codes for the ABS and Airbag. Those modules wanted a handshake with the ECU on start up. Mike at TDTuning was able to take care of it.

Last edited:

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for confirming that vwztips.

I know it's the holiday season, so I'll give Malone another shot to deal with this in the New Year before asking for a refund...

In the mean time, I think I have a lead on my dead radio. Unfortunately I requires removing the seat and carpet... Also need to sort out my fuel pump code.

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I got my radio working. In typical Allroad style, moisture must have gotten into the drivers footwell along with a bunch of salt and I was left with this mess:

Spliced in new wiring and voila, I have a radio again. The shielding on the antenna wires was also compromised, going to try and patch that up as well as I fear my reception will suck.

Don't you just love it when hacks try and fix cars? They tried to pull power off the heated seats to power the radio instead of actually tracing the problem, then twisted wires together and covered in a ball of electrical tape. Perfect.

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
Lucas perhaps the ABS controller is down (on the pump)? We saw that often at work...
I thought you could change the auto to manual coding once logged into VCDS in the instrument cluster, I do have the info at home (far away for a while). This was stuff I received on course in 2008/9. I do have login codes and such, but nothing specific to the BHW Passat, it was still too new. There should be some specific AR info in the data blocks manual I have (have to adapt certain modules, perhaps a wiring diagram that is indepth).

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab
Allroad TDI

Just read this whole thread - what a great write-up. Thanks! Watching with interest! Sweet previously attempted radio re-wire :D

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Had my reflash done today by Malone through Ottostadt in Gatineau. I was very happy with Dave @ Ottostadt's service, I would recommend him for anyone looking for tuning in the area. Malone seems to have worked his magic as well, so far I'm happy with the end result.

All my lights are gone, and the car is noticeably zippier, hoping there might be a little more in it with some logging and iterations.

Something strange we did notice was that I can't turn ESP off. It is functional and ABS is as well. No idea where to start with that one, I have adjusted the soft coding to account for the manual transmission. I would be curious to know what other people have coded their engine and ABS modules to.

Also my cruise control doesn't work. Seems like all the switches work when tested in VCDS, but it doesn't seem to be registering a vehicle speed. I'll have to check the wiring.

Filled up and had 980km's showing on the trip computer, I seem to be getting around 8L/100km city driving without going to easy. I'll do some highway tests after I get an alignment next week.

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
I did a little reading last night, seems as though my ESP issues may be caused by my missing level sensor. Fingers crossed it's that simple. Traction control and Quattro sucks!

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
I had the car reflashed again on the weekend to a little bit more of an aggressive tune. Seems to pull a little harder, I will do some more logs to see if this is all she has but I am pretty happy with the performance for a daily driver.

So far my clutch is holding the power just fine. Nice and light pedal, no complaints.

Here are some pics of what I ended up soft coding the ECU, ABS and instrument cluster (I'll add later) to. Keep in mind you will have to have a tuner adjust the tune for the manual transmission before you will be able to change it.

ECU:

ABS:

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Woohoo! Officially emissions tested in Ontario. With the new emissions test, I didn't even have to change the fuel type, they tested it as an Allroad (gas) and it passed. Pretty funny.

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
The 01E that comes in the Allroad would bolt right up, however the gearing would be not even close to TDI friendly.

I won't work on 2.7T's anymore, every thing about them is an expensive headache. There is a long list of common faults on them, blown turbos (have to remove engine to replace), egt's sensors, O2 sensors, valve cover gaskets, cam chain tensioners, secondary air stuff, combi valves, etc.....

On top of all that, their fuel economy is atrocious. Might as well drive a half-ton because you're getting the same mileage.

If you're considering a swap, my recommendations would be:
-start with a manual Allroad
-buy an entire parts Passat for the BHW, I was very surprised at how much stuff I was able to use during the converison
-decide how much power you want, this will dictate what clutch you can get away with. Valeo single mass conversion is ~$350 and will hold ~300ft-lbs, more than that and you've got to open your wallet or get creative.
-If you want to keep the air suspension, find a car that already has the Arnott bags in it, otherwise budget on ~$2000 to replace stuff as it fails. And it will. I think the coil conversion is ~$1000.

The swap itself it very straight forward, waaaay more plug and play than your Toyota. I got carried away cleaning up subframes and repainting a bunch of stuff thanks to our salty Canadian winters, otherwise there's no reason this couldn't be done in 3-4 weekends without a hoist and being unfamiliar with both of the cars. I could do another one in 2 weekends on a car without crusty subframes.

More than happy to help if you chose to go down this road! I should have stopped to see the Toyota on my motorcycle trip, I hit some ice and crashed pretty hard in the mountains not far from you in Susanville.

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Forgot to mention, my first tank mileage results:

850km on 65L= 7.6L/100km or 31MPG

70% was city driving, I've been flogging it, my alignment is waaay out and we've gotten a fair bit of snow lately. I am fairly confident I can hit 6.5L/100km on the tanks to come.

My cruise control doesn't work. I'm pretty stumped as to why, because the wiring seems check out. I'll be investigating more this week.

My ESP can be turned off/on now, it was just a bad level sensor.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Which 01E gearbox did you use? Did it match up to the rear transaxle or did you have to swap that too?

Did you run a wire to pin #43 on the ECU for your cruise switch?

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
I can't remember the trans code, it was a fairly uncommon one. It was 4.11 gears and a 0.58 6th. I swapped the rear diff to 4.11 as well.
I did run a wire to cruise, when I check the measuring block in VCDS the cruise, clutch and brake switches all work. According to this chart on Ross Tech's website, all my switches are working and CCS is active:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Checking_Cruise_Control_using_Measuring_Values
I'm thinking it has to be a bad VSS or bad VSS wiring, as it shows the vehicle speed as 0 all the time in measuring block 6. Not getting any codes though...

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
If your VSS is not putting out a signal then you have a bad sensor, wire or a transmission without the sensor ring on the driveshaft. That's why it would be good to know which gearbox you have. No VSS signal would most likely be why your cruise doesn't work.

Is your speedometer working? If yes then I would assume you are getting speed signal from ABS.

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
I can double check tonight, but I'm pretty sure my trans code is FTT or FPP, 4.11 diff with a 0.58 6th. There is a VSS sensor on the transmission, I'm pretty sure this reads off the front diff? I can't imagine they would put the speed sensor in without the reluctor ring inside...

The speedometer works fine, pretty sure its reading from the front left ABS sensor.

Thanks for your help!

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
I've noticed a bit of a vibration the last couple days on my commute, thought it was just in my head as it wasn't getting worse.
Then I got what felt like a bad misfire followed by increased vibration at 70MPH. Got off the highway ASAP and looked under the car to find my rear diff pissing. I figured I wasn't likely going to make things worse and managed to drive another 60 km's home with the whole car rattling.

I got this diff from a local U-Pick, so I really have no idea of the history. I'll be pulling it apart to investigate. I'm hoping there is something obvious, but I'm guessing it's completely mashed at this point. I'll likely just swap in a replacement and hope for the best, these diffs seem pretty stout for the most part.

My first thought was mismatched gear ratios, but I can easily push the car by myself on level ground. I also doubt it would have lasted 3000km @ 120kph.

Carnage pics to come.

Tdiavant

TDI
A4 1.9
I am putting a 01e TDI trans behind my 1.9 AFN in my a4 Quattro avant I saw your clutch pieces you ordered. What do you think of the setup? Anything you would change. Sorry if you have touched on this I have not read the thread threw. Also you can PM me if that's easier.

Thank

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
yea, audi diffs are strong, and usually only break with a lot of HP and harsh launches or wheel-lifts. I think your center diff in the trans would be the first thing to go if you had your final drive ratios mis-matched.

I don't think its cost effective to rebuild those. I would slap another uses one in and call it good.

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdiavant, my clutch seems to be holding just fine with a Malone "Stage 2" tune and has a nice and light pedal. I can't speak for longevity obviously, as I've only put ~3000km's on it.

I think I've lined up a replacement diff, definitely not going to bother trying to repair it.

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I went and grabbed a complete rear A6 subframe from the u-pull today. That was a real blast in the snow...

Put the new diff in and all seems to be good. The pinion is bent on the old one... My guess is a lazy fork lift driver at the junk yard. I'm kind of amazed it lasted as long as it did. I'll pull it apart tomorrow, I'm curious to see how bad it is inside.

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Carnage pics:

You can kind of see the bend in the pinion near the splines. The bearing had ~1/8" of play.

In other news, I've been helping a buddy build this:

I drew all the ski parts and had them laser cut, then just welded them together. We had some wheel adapters/spacers made to bolt the side x side tracks to the smart car hubs. Skis aren't quite finished, but it would do about 45km/h in 3rd with wheels on the front. Hoping it will top out around 80km/h.

chrisroser

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS TDI, 05 NB GLS TDI
Cool project and nice write up Luke. I've been saving up the parts and pieces to do my own BHW allroad 01E swap. I have a few questions for you. Why 4.11? That's a gearing used in manual trans swaps for the 2.7T found in C5 & B5 S4 audis. What is your RPM's at 60 mph in 6th gear? Regarding having to modify the front sub frame, Why and what exactly did you do? I was under the immpression that the BHW mounts were a direct bolt up. How did you handle the front snub mount?

chrisroser

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS TDI, 05 NB GLS TDI
I made a spreadsheet with all the pin #'s for the BHW and 2.7t V6 and where each should go in order to have a "plug and play" harness. My car is a 2000 A6.

I also have a 2005 AR awaiting the same conversion. Unfortunately sometime in 2003-2004 Audi changed the body harness plugs (white, brown, red/orange, black).

I have updated my spreadsheet for the new pin orientation as well. You will need different plugs on the BHW harness if you want it to be plug and play. I have a set of bare plugs if interested.
01-02 was an APB block. In 2003 they went to a different motor. BEL is the code. The harness is different.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep. I left my 2005 as a gasser. I have an 01 with a toasted motor so the BHW and 01E is going into it. The good thing is all the wiring work I did on my 2000 A6 is now just a plug and play in the 2001 AR.

AS for the 4.11 rear end, there are not a ton of options of TDI boxes and matching rear ends. I have a DQT which I chose because the A6 2.7t had a 4.11.

IIRC at 2000 RPM I am going 65-67 MPH which is pretty close to the GMR tiptronic which came mated to the BHW.