2004-5 Passat Engine Transverse?

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
I was considering that it would be cool to convert an Passat to manual trans and had in preliminary research found a shop that was offering the conversion that was enough to think it could be relatively easy to do. Saw a Passat for sale for 850$ and was said to have approx 150,000 and a "clean title". It was involved in a driver side contact that damaged the front quarter panel and door neither extensive in damage and while the front panel would need extensive work/replacement door perhaps wouldn't need replacement other than mirror. Pillar airbag had deployment. Other than that I noticed the advertisement said 2.0 liter engine. I looked at a Jetta Wagon of same year and noted it's engine was not Transversely mounted as with the Passat. Can anyone explain what I am looking at/trying to figure out.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
I was wondering if the Passat would be a better candidate for conversion to manual with all wheel drive as the transmission seems to lend to that configuration better. I think I erroneously titled the post. The Passat is Longitudinal engine mounting correct? Beetle, Golf, Jetta configuration is Transversely mounted no?

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Yes, the Passat is longitudinal and a Golf, Jetta or New Beetle are transverse. I don't have any good advise for you other than buy the absolute nicest car you can find for a starting point. There's no point in investing all the time and money into a wreck. The Passat has more in common with an Audi A4 than most VW's so you would probably be sourcing most of the parts from an Audi.