2004.5 Cummins to have EGR

Lightman

Veteran Member
Well, they haven't made an official announcement, but from what I've gathered from email responses from Cummins, DC, and the dodge forums, all things point to EGR on all build dates after Jan 1 2004. Just a fyi, to those thinking of buying a Cummins Ram. Now is the time!! =] Right now they still have $2500 rebate or 0% financing. I'm probably going to wait a few months, and hopefully order mine near October!

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI
With all this talk about EGR problems in bigger diesels, I'm curious as to how the GM 1/2 and sub 6500 GVWR 3/4 ton 6.2/6.5 diesels from 1982-2000 perform with their EGR systems.

MikeyB

Some of the OTR Cummins engines already have EGR system installed. Apparently it's been very reliable. I believe the engine is the ISX series.

MikeyB

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk
Are the current HD EGR systems cooled or not? And will this new Cummins EGR system be cooled?

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Love that photo!

Will the Cummins also require CI-4 rated oil, like Delvac 1?
What oil do they use now?

~ n1das

JakeGMCHD

Davin
Most of the Big Diesel that have EGR are cooled. I was thinking that the Ford 6.0L Powerstroke is also cooled EGR. I know that the GM 6.5L EGR systems were trouble. What's interesting is how CAT doesn't use EGR.