2003 Volkswagen Jetta wagon Mark 4 ALH for sale with lots of upgrades

mariol

TDI
2003 Volkswagen Jetta wagon mark 4 alh
Hello all, I am putting wagon up for sale. I am the second owner I purchased it last year. I purchased the wagon with 203,064 miles and it currently has 213,000 miles. I've done tons of upgrades and have receipts for everything along with pictures and receipts. The car runs amazing and gets great fuel economy. The wagon is a GLS so it has leather seats with front seat warmers. The air conditioning is ice cold. Has a sunroof/moonroof. Most recently i tinted the windows. Some of the upgrades I've done to it are:
-Brand new front window
-brand complete engine mount set
-New Large cooling fan
-New coolant expansion tank
-New Bosio Power Plus 764 injector nozzles
-VNT 17 Garrett Turbo
-New braided steel oil feed line
-3 Bar map sensor
-Stainless Steel Downpipe by BuzzKen - 2.5"
-New muffler
-Upgraded SMIC Intercooler
-Malone Stage 4 Tune
-New front headlights with fog lights
-New SBC Stage 2 Endurance Clutch kit w/SMF
-New dipstick
-New window tint
I am saddened to let my wagon go especially after all of the upgrades I've done to it but i need to get a bigger vehicle. Anyone who loves TDI's as much as i do will realize that this is a diamond in the rough. That is to find a vehicle this old in such great shape and with such low mileage and with tons of upgrades. . I have many pictures and videos. I am asking for $9200.00 which is a very reasonable price for this vehicle, please no low balling. I couldn't post pics but here is the craigslist post with a few pics:
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/d/long-beach-2003-volkswagen-jetta-wagon/6933555605.html

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Posting pics would help your sale efforts. Or a link to a Craigslist or eBay listing or you tube video. I really want to see pics of this near perfect show car.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yeah - i sold my '03 wagon that had similar power and lighting upgrades, but with 6sp. MT (and corresponding bigger clutch), Pioneer CarPlay NEX stereo for almost $2K less.

If you can get your asking price, more power to you.

Dan99TDI

TDI
ALH going in a 56 CJ5, B5.5 tdi wagon
I hate to be a dick, but I'm looking at these cars specifically (mk4 5mt diesel wagons) and you're probably 4-5K high.

Honestly, the mods you put on your car are generally not adding to your car's value, except to you.

I think an asking of 5K is probably reasonable with that age and mileage.

All this to say, good luck with your sale.

Soupinmycoupe

Veteran Member
TDI
Manual ALH wagons.
Dan you should buy my wagon ;)

In all seriousness, I wish the ALH 5 speed wagons fetched for more than street value. Weren’t these The unicorns a few years ago? The holy grail? Blah blah blah.

You’re all cheap.

-says a guy also selling a wagon.

PS- what you should really be asking is when the last timing belt was done.

Last edited:

Louie710

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta sedan 2002 Jetta wagon
Maybe if it had a full R32/GLI interior/brakes, aftermarket wheels/audio, upgraded suspension, and a few rare euro parts on it....put a wrap on it too while your at it then maybe it will be worth closer to 9k lol. Heres a free bump and good luck with your sale

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
They still are the Unicorns. But they're worth less and previously. I'm keeping mine forever. This one's the right color. :D GLWS

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
The mods generally depreciate these cars UNLESS you find someone specifically looking for a a stage IV car.

I’d pay up to $6k for it. There have been a number of nice ALH wagons for sale recently in the $5-6k range. $9200 seems very unrealistic in all honesty.

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
Hate to poo on your thread, but you are truly way out of wack here...

Over 6 years ago I sold my 2256v/etc/etc mk4 that had $9500 in mods done to it, for $9000. It had 140kmi. And it was tough getting rid of it for that back then.

Now dieselgate cars can be had for what you're asking or less. And they are everywhere.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Super clean car OP-but $3000 HIGH...AT LEAST. You can get $6000 for it, maybe $6200...but $9200 I believe is cray-cray.

mariol

TDI
Very unfortunate to hear so many negative comments on a TDIClub forum especially when we are a group of tdi enthusiasts. I've put a lot of work and upgrades into the vehicle. TDI enthusiasts should know how much work it takes to make these upgrades, how much the parts cost and if performed by a mechanic how expensive the repairs actually cost. When i performed all of the upgrades i made repairs/upkeeps for example, when i upgraded the intake cooler i also cleaned the intake manifold among other little things. I'm going to lower my price to $8450 or best offer due to the fact that i am need of a pick up truck.

mariol

TDI
I also forgot to mention that the wagon has an aftermarket Atlas aluminum skid plate.

Louie710

Veteran Member
TDI
I dont think anyone is being negative we are all being realistic here. You think your car is worth a lot more than it really is. I would love to see you trade it in at the dealership and ask for 9k towards a new truck

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Exactly - no one is being negative; just trying to be realistic about what kind of price your car commands. No one doubts the cost of time and money that went into your car - it's fantastic.
But as we all know as enthusiasts, we never get anything close to that back when we go to sell our cars.

GLWS.

Louie710

Veteran Member
TDI
Our turbo diesels used to fetch more than blue book value because of its fuel efficiency. Nowadays there are many other fuel efficent options that were not available 5-10 years ago. We are not living in 2008 anymore. Dont forget the whole dieselgate thing. Nobody wants a Volkswagen diesel anymore because of it. To think your tdi is worth over market value simply becuase its a diesel that gets good gas mileage isint valid anymore. I know nobody on this website wants to hear that because everyone thinks their mk4 is worth gold when its really not. with what your asking you can go to a car lot and get a much newer tdi with less miles.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Our turbo diesels used to fetch more than blue book value because of its fuel efficiency. I know nobody on this website wants to hear that because everyone thinks their mk4 is worth gold when its really not. with what your asking you can go to a car lot and get a much newer tdi with less miles.
This is not exactly true. You can buy a MKIV 2.slow Jetta Sedan or Wagon in good condition for well under $2K. A TDI, usually with 1.5 to 2x the miles on it, will get at least twice that. There are some inexpensive TDIs out there, but usually they're very tired.

The OP has a nice car. Many of the "upgrades" aren't really upgrades, they're replacements of wear items with slightly better than stock parts. Downpipes fail. An aftermarket downpipe is an upgrade, but doesn't add significant value to the car. Same with the turbo and injectors. And many enthusiasts would prefer a stock car as a starting point.

In my opinion the value of this car is what appears in the photos to be a clean, rust free body. If the car spent its life in SoCal, that's a huge plus. The mods are probably neutral in value.

If this car were $5K someone would grab it, I bet.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
Very unfortunate to hear so many negative comments on a TDIClub forum especially when we are a group of tdi enthusiasts. I've put a lot of work and upgrades into the vehicle. TDI enthusiasts should know how much work it takes to make these upgrades, how much the parts cost and if performed by a mechanic how expensive the repairs actually cost. When i performed all of the upgrades i made repairs/upkeeps for example, when i upgraded the intake cooler i also cleaned the intake manifold among other little things. I'm going to lower my price to $8450 or best offer due to the fact that i am need of a pick up truck.
Its not negative. We're being realistic. You have had it listed here for over 2 weeks.

Do some research. Search through the classifieds and look how many wagons have been sold here in the last 6 months. Compare prices. Some had "upgrades" similar to your car. Unfortunately, unless you find a buyer specifically looking for a Stage IV car, its been depreciated by installing those parts.

I see nice wagons come up for sale every few months on craigslist. Usually $3500-$5000 for a nice original example ~ 200K miles. Sometimes lower mileage cars going for a little more. Sometimes you see decent condition wagons for $2500-$3000 too. The good ones usually sell fast.

Truth be told, you could buy a nice original car, install the same Stage IV "upgrades" as your car and it would still be LESS THAN WHAT YOUR ASKING PRICE IS.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Keep it long enough and it will probably sell for that.
A California specimen? Might take a decade or two.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
cali is a weird market for things, jeep cherokees sell for 10k+ there when the rest of the country it would be a 4-6k jeep, no idea why.

even still TDIs are in the ****ter now since gas prices are low and cheaper gas cars still can get high MPGs or even electric vehicles, however the person who might buy an EV isn't looking at anything sub 20k.

have you gotten any offers or people asking about it?

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
have you gotten any offers or people asking about it?
I said I would pay up to $6k for it in this thread. That’s a real offer.

OP your ad on Craigslist expired. If you want to sell the wagon send me a message as I am heading down south next week and would like to see it if you decide to sell it a reasonable price.

Louie710

Veteran Member
TDI
CL link expired. Did it sell or did the owner realize how silly they looked asking for that type of money? Either way free bump