2003 TDI Wagon, White, 6sp, Kerma, ALH, 260k

Xceler8

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Hopefully you will forgive me for some of the click bait above lol (all of it true). Been holding on to my 2003 Jetta Wagon and reaching out to community to get some idea on value, and what the potential next steps would be.

2003 TDI Wagon White:
- 260k odo, 160k on motor, all below work done at 100k on the motor
- Rebuilt turbo
- Water/oil pump
- Timing belt
- all seals
- Clutch out of a Golf R with 100k miles
- 6 speed transmission out of a GLI Jetta
- Cheap Coilovers (need to be replaced)
- Kerma 3" turbo Back Exhaust
- Kerma Tune (older tuner)
- Tires with less than 500 miles (been sitting for over a year though)
- MKIV GTI Wheels (I'm pretty sure)

The bad, lost the timing belt on the highway at 70mph while in gear...

Basically seeing what the car may be worth in current condition (I will work to get some pictures of the car up soon). Exterior is 6/10, has paint work on the front end (collision) and drivers rear quarter (poorly done). Rust on the top of the drivers side rear door. Car was purchased as a beater/daily.

I have always loved the car, was bought as a beater as I was driving 100+ miles a day for work, turned it into a DJ Equipment hauler once I got a job that didn't require the driving. Would love to hold onto it and get it back to being a daily, however I don't feel confident or have the time to attempt a motor rebuild on my own, and basically am living on an Island in Austin TX as most of my car family is back in Florida, so I don't really know where to turn for a reasonably priced professional shop that will get it done right the first time.

Questions basically are, what is the car worth as it sits. I would probably sell the tuner separately, and potentially the exhaust/wheels and tires.

What would something like this be worth after head/piston or motor replacement. If I can recover my money I'd be willing to fix it with gas the way it is, but if I loose a ton I'd basically rather just let it go as is before I tear into it and give it to someone in pieces.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Ooff, that's a tough loss.
Wrong gear ratio trans with a toofed motor.
My valuation is $800-$1000 as it sits. Keep it whole, don't remove parts. The plus you have (based on location) is no rust, tuner and exhaust.
Good luck with sale

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Ooff, that's a tough loss.
Wrong gear ratio trans with a toofed motor.
My valuation is $800-$1000 as it sits. Keep it whole, don't remove parts. The plus you have (based on location) is no rust, tuner and exhaust.
Good luck with sale

JD has hit the nail on the head, rust free but needs an engine or at least a head and a proper transmission.

Xceler8

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Hey guys, sorry I'm really bad about checking these threads and I guess I didn't have the notifications turned on for this one.

In the process of pricing out the repairs to see if I even want to embark on that journey, at the very least for someone who is interested I may be able to get some pictures of the cylinders since I may have it scoped to see what it looks like on the inside.

I will also try and get some pictures today, the car has been sitting for over a year.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
If you do decide to get it fixed check out the Trusted TDI Mechanics list by state on here: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/trusted-tdi-mechanics-by-state.130044/

You could also try posting in your regional sub-forum to see if they could recommend a person or shop to work on your car.
https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?forums/south-central-regional-states.76/

Someone already asked about a mechanic in Austin, so you don't have to.
https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/austin-tx-mechanic-suggestions.489679/

Hope you get it fixed, but if you don't, I'm sure someone will be happy to take it off your hands.