2003 Passat TDI

xania

TDI
2003 Passat 1.9 TDI
Hi!
I'm kinda new to the forum, spent most of the time reading instead of posting. :eek:

Just wanted to show my current Passat. It's a 2003 B5.5 Wagon, AVF engine, 6 speed manual, bought it in late 2014, changed the belts, thermostat, oil + filters and recently egr valve.

Runs great, very well equipped for a 1.9 and all in all a beautiful car very happy with it! :)

Few pics:

Last edited:

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Very nice. I think here you only got those headlights and chrome roof rails on the Passat W8. Now mine is like yours (W8 converted to an AVF engine!).

BadcarEurope

TDI
1.9 TDI 130KM
Great piece of car, personally I preffer automatic transmission but still - good choice!

hughc

TDI
2005 tdi passat
Very nice wagon. Do I see headlight washers on front bumper?

Out of curiousity, can you tell us how much a vehicle like that sells for in your country?

xania

TDI
2003 Passat 1.9 TDI
Very nice wagon. Do I see headlight washers on front bumper?

Out of curiousity, can you tell us how much a vehicle like that sells for in your country?

Hey, thank you for the kind words.

Yes those indeed are headlight washers (because of the xenon headlights) in Europe the car MUST have washers if you have xenon's.

As for the prices: something similar is rather hard to find :) by saying similar i mean this trim level with manual transmission but if you happen to find one it goes for about 3000-3500 Euro and up, depending on condition, how many owners, service history etc..

3000-3500 Euro is about 3300-3800 US dollars or 4500-5200 Canadian dollars. ;)

hughc

TDI
2005 tdi passat
Hey, thank you for the kind words.

Yes those indeed are headlight washers (because of the xenon headlights) in Europe the car MUST have washers if you have xenon's.

As for the prices: something similar is rather hard to find :) by saying similar i mean this trim level with manual transmission but if you happen to find one it goes for about 3000-3500 Euro and up, depending on condition, how many owners, service history etc..

3000-3500 Euro is about 3300-3800 US dollars or 4500-5200 Canadian dollars. ;)
Those prices are unbelievable.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
What about prices in your country? Are they higher? If I'm correct you're from Canada.
We only had b5.5 TDIs in 04 and 05, and only with an Auto trans. More and more guys are swapping those cars to a standard shift now as the auto trans seem to fail above 250kms (or earlier)

hughc

TDI
2005 tdi passat
What about prices in your country? Are they higher? If I'm correct you're from Canada.
It's difficult to put a price on that type of vehicle as each one is privately built by an individual. There are a lot of variables but each one pretty well has to start with a vehicle that is currently owned or specifically purchased for that purpose. Generally in my area such a vehicle, with a bad auto transmission, will sell for $1000 to $1500.

All of the required Tdi parts have to be sourced, either thru junk yards or purchased from someone that specializes in that sort of thing. In my case the "kit" parts were sourced thru Dutch Auto Parts in the Netherlands. I received a proper Tdi transmission (not readily available in N/A), subframe, clutch pedal, smf and clutch and maybe other bits and pieces that I've forgotten about. Don't quote me but I seem to recall that package cost app. 1350 euro.

Some individuals are quite capable of doing all of the work themselves and others will get a shop to do the work, which of course will mean an added expense.

The ECU will have to be tweaked to recognize the manual transmission and that will again cost a few hundred dollars.

So as you can see the costs quickly add up.

Most people will opt to have the BSM deleted and if the vehicle is an unknown entity they will most probably have a proper timing belt replacement done as well. And if it's a high mileage vehicle, the suspension, brakes might also need refreshing. It keeps adding up.

Most of the vehicles will not have leather interiors and if that is important then you are off to the junk yard again looking for a suitable interior.

Now that you've gone this far you might decide that you also want new tires and maybe nice new rims.

You can see where we can easily spend as much money as what your vehicle sold for, but we don't have a proper factory built car, just an imitation. But we enjoy them.

I hope this answers your question.

ps I should also mention that I would very much prefer to pay $5500 up front to buy a wagon like yours than go thru all the bull**** to convert one.

Last edited:

Davehhh

TDI
1.9TDI AVF Passat B5FL 4motion
It is in nice shape, I definitely envy the color.
Price I had to pay for mine was 800k ISK I know it is weird but here in Iceland Passat TDIs are for around one million:D (7000 euros and 8000 dollars) I saw once a W8 one for 2 mil.