2003 or later models?

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
The A4 range (1999.5-2003) are (mostly) easier to work on, and comparable replacement parts are generally a lot cheaper.
Whether you do your own wrenching or not, the A4's are cheaper to maintain.

Welcome to TDI Club!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, they really are better cars in many respects. But they are also getting on in years, have many parts (trim pieces mostly) that are NLA. But they last indefinitely and are fairly easy to service, and have no troublesome emission control equipment on them. The ALH has easily THE simplest engine management system of any car sold here since the old IDI diesels VAG sold here last in the early '90s (which didn't even have a computer at all).

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Yep, they really are better cars in many respects. But they are also getting on in years, have many parts (trim pieces mostly) that are NLA. But they last indefinitely and are fairly easy to service, and have no troublesome emission control equipment on them. The ALH has easily THE simplest engine management system of any car sold here since the old IDI diesels VAG sold here last in the early '90s (which didn't even have a computer at all).
The troublesome emissions equipment OH references can also be incredibly expensive to fix/replace unless they fall off when hitting a pothole.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I wonder where you're seeing any nice ALH wagons. Those are pretty rare.

I own both, both bought new: A MK7 GSW, and a MKIV Jetta Wagon. If someone put a gun to my head and said you could only keep one, I'd have to think hard about giving up the MKIV, even though it has 470K more miles on it than the GSW.

TDI
Alh
The troublesome emissions equipment OH references can also be incredibly expensive to fix/replace unless they fall off when hitting a pothole.
I live in a very rural county where a decent road is a surprise. Potholes are an improvement so I am sure whatever I get a lot of unnecessary parts will get knocked off.

TDI
Alh
I wonder where you're seeing any nice ALH wagons. Those are pretty rare.

I own both, both bought new: A MK7 GSW, and a MKIV Jetta Wagon. If someone put a gun to my head and said you could only keep one, I'd have to think hard about giving up the MKIV, even though it has 470K more miles on it than the GSW.
In my area of the West coast Marketplace usually has a couple of 2003 wagons in nice, close to original shape for 7-9K. Several highly modified decent looking ones from 6k and up. Today there is 6 2011-2015 sport under 8k