2003 New Beetle Door Lock Problems

PHOTOGUY1000

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S, SE & SEL & 2003 New Beetle
The drivers side door will no longer lock or unlock using the fob or the switch inside the door... using the key it work perfectly sets alarm all good. Passenger side works just fine with the the fob as well as the door switch on either side. I don't mind working on the door replacing parts but i just cant get a clear idea of what to replace most of the threads I have read talk about the door re-locking after a time or the car not knowing the door is closed etc I am not having those problems. I have tried two different fobs with the same results.

zslnk

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI, 3rd gen Cummins 2500, ALH Sedan
Most people seem to have micro switch problems with the door lock system. They can be replaced. There is a small electric motor that could be broken. The mechanism looks complicated but once you get the electrical piece split open, you can start testing the switches with a multi-meter and if they are OK you can check the electric motor. It's not that complicated once you get it split on a bench. I pulled a few at the junkyard and rebuilt them for spares.

The switches came from Digikey.
D2HW-BL213MR
D2HW-BR213MR

Does you interior light come on when you open the drivers door if the car is left unlocked?

PHOTOGUY1000

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S, SE & SEL & 2003 New Beetle
I have read about the micro switches as well but the car just does not display those symptoms... light works alarm works no phantom door locking. I guess I will just pull it a part & see if i can find the culprit.