2003 Jetta ALH Value

Ty1erG

TDI
2003 ALH 1.9 Jetta
I have a 2003 Jetta sedan, its got a 1.9/5spd with 175k on it. The body is good, a few little scratches. Aftermarket 18" Konig wheels with brand new tires. About 5,000 on new power steering rack and control arms. About two months ago the bolt was loose on the crankshaft pulley and I went ahead and installed a Gates timing belt kit. Well I was driving yesterday and the crankshaft pulley bolt evidently came loose again this time the pulley fell off. I have no interest in working on it again and am considering selling it. Just wondering what you guys think its worth

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Was that the accessory belt pulley or timing belt pulley?

Ty1erG

TDI
2003 ALH 1.9 Jetta
Both, the 19mm 12 point bolt thats in the center is what came out. Both the acc belt and timing belt are loose

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Less than $1000 with the engine needing serious work after the TB event.
About 4years ago I bought a very nice 2003 Jetta 1.8 GLS manual w/leather and good tires for $600. The engine was locked up after a TB event (waterpump siezed).
I used it to swap the TDI from my 2003 that had been rear ended. I would buy another one to use as a recipient to my totally rusted out 2001 but they are hard to come by in decent shape up here in the salt country.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Not worth much at all with a ruined engine, unless you find the right person. It will take more than the car is worth to put it right again. You will have to find someone dedicated to getting one for other purposes such as jettawreck above. Unless you can find that person I don't think you will have any takers at all. Getting closer and closer to the point where no one works on their cars anymore themselves. Paying someone else to fix a car like this will drive the cost out of bounds for most people.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
This is why I preach the locktight and thread prep bible. Next time I say to use red locktight and proper torque and thread prep you might listen.
Oh well, lesson learned.
Shame. Probably about 800 max, 500 min. Assume the engine is trashed for sale listing.
Part out would yield more.
Sorry for your loss

Ty1erG

TDI
2003 ALH 1.9 Jetta
This is why I preach the locktight and thread prep bible. Next time I say to use red locktight and proper torque and thread prep you might listen.
Oh well, lesson learned.
Shame. Probably about 800 max, 500 min. Assume the engine is trashed for sale listing.
Part out would yield more.
Sorry for your loss
I used a new bolt and red loctite and triple checked torque when I installed the new TB kit

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I used a new bolt and red loctite and triple checked torque when I installed the new TB kit
Did you chase the threads on the crank or at least spray and brush it out with brake cleaner first? And same for the new bolt?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My only guess on this is that the crank threads got stripped out a bit. I really would like to know what the heck happend!

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I never use loctite and never have bolts loosening up either. Loctite is not needed. It also makes it super hard to get the bolts off in the future.

The loctite gospel is heresy.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The last few cars I have gotten recently for comparison:

2001 Golf, crashed down left side, mechanically sound, $500

2002 Jetta sedan, lots of minor stuff, lots of neglect, but ran, $600

2004 Jetta wagon, dirty and scratched up, but runs good, dead slushbox, free.

2004 Jetta sedan, dirty, rusty front fenders, has a bad injector (starts missing after warmed up), slushbox works good, $200.

2000 Jetta sedan, DMF bad, runs but not driveable, really dirty and neglected, $150.

These are all diesels, I won't bother listing the gassers.

Chances are the car is only worth "anything" to someone willing and able to fix it, or (hopefully not if the body is sound) part it out.

The wheels add nothing, you may be better off selling those separately if you have some OEM wheels that are wrapped in tires that hold air to put on it. I keep a set of OEM wheels/tires specifically for that purpose, because I do come across far too many of these cars with aftermarket wheels that everyone thinks are worth something, and they are not, and I never want them.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
$600 about two years ago for a Jetta with a timing belt event. Car was in good shape, the engine wasn’t.

Ty1erG

TDI
2003 ALH 1.9 Jetta
Thanks for all the input. I popped the head off and luckily there doesn't appear to be major engine damage. The first two or three threads in the crank snout were sloppy but my buddy (a machinist) was able to clean it up good. I'm don't imagine that would be the cause but who knows. The flat spot that is *supposed* to be on the drive sprocket behind the harmonic balancer isn't so flat anymore, most likely from sitting on the crank loose thus stripping it out. I'm currently waiting on a new one. I posted it for sale on a local classifieds site, I've gotten a $1000 offer for it as is and of course multiple low ball offers. Im holding out on selling until i get it back together, if it runs I have it sold for $2500

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If it's not roadable <1000. Double or triple that if it runs and drives and it's in fair condition.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
I was going to say $350. Just going by craigslist ads the past year.
If you got an offer for $1000 you did well.
Hope you can get it running again