2003 Golf got wrecked- wondering what insurance might payout

xxdolphinscryxx

TDI
2003 Golf, Black
It breaks my heart. I t-boned a guy yesterday because he did something STUPID. (Way illegal u-turn)

Needless to say I'm pretty sure my car is toast. I am not very confident that it's getting fixed. Front end smashed up real good, lost its oil and probably radiator. Miraculously, the air bags did not deploy!

Any idea what you think I will get as a payout for the total loss?
Approximately 250k miles, interior not so hot (I'd say fair-ish) windshield was cracked before accident, right mirror was knocked off and taped on a couple years ago)

I am really bummed; 13 years of loving on my car, down the drain due to a douche in an F-150

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
ughh, insurance companies.......
Start documenting all correspondence,
Fight for every penny, they will low ball.
Try to find prices for comparable cars sold in your region, not easy.
Concerned to hear air bags did not deploy, hope everyone is O.K.

xxdolphinscryxx

TDI
2003 Golf, Black
I'm ok :) got some bruising from the seatbelt and a little whiplash.
I really don't know how to fight with insurance but I'll do my best. I'm depending on their payout for a new vehicle so.....

xFlandies

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf 1.9TDI Auto
I'm ok :) got some bruising from the seatbelt and a little whiplash.
I really don't know how to fight with insurance but I'll do my best. I'm depending on their payout for a new vehicle so.....
From what I have seen from working at a rental company, when a car got totalled the insurance company would compare prices on cars with near your car specifications such as mileage, year, etc. I don't remember much but I do remember reading an email saying that they compared 2 cars on the market and subtracted something and go the number. I think it was $3k or 2k below the market value but just look at cars the same as yours and what they are selling for. Expect to get something near there.

Just did a quick google search and found a few sites to determine value or how to get the highest payout amount from your insurance company -http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto/totaled-car-bag-a-car-insurance-payout.aspx

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Colleague just got his '99.5 Golf hit. Car was deemed a total loss, insurance offered him $1,500. After showing repair receipts exceeding $7K, insurance came up to $3,200.

I know people here think insurance companies are thieves and I'm not going to defend them, but let's keep in mind this was a 17 year-old economy car with over 200K on it. $3,200 seems pretty reasonable, even though it will mean a loss for him. Your car is newer, but has more miles. If you're offered $4K I think you're doing well.

He's keeping the car and fixing it. No salvage titles on totaled cars in MA that are over 12 years old.

xxdolphinscryxx

TDI
2003 Golf, Black
4K would be ok by me. I just hope they don't offer like 1k or something ridiculous like that. I've never been in this situation before and I switched insurance a couple years ago and now I feel like that was dumb.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
It just depends on your insurance company. We've had State Farm for quite a few years. I've only had a couple of claims, but every time they have been more than fair. I just had a claim on both TDIs Absolutely no problems with either one. The Golf came out with minimal damage and is at the body shop now. They gave me more than I thought for the damage to the Jetta. Enough that I'll probably just buy another one instead of repairing mine. Years ago the oldest daughter totaled (her fault) a Ford Focus. We hadn't owned it long and they offered more than we paid for it.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I had to do some research as well. Hard to compare on the tdi market so expand you search. Just let them know you don't agree with the first offer and show them the research. Don't sign anything until you are happy. Keep in mind though that you won't get all that you want. You can buy back and part out afterwards if you want

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

gatz

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Golf TDI PD, 2006 MkV Golf GTI
Liberty Mutual covered a replacement engine & turbo after cracking the oil pan on a pot hole (my grandmother was driving and kept driving with the oil light on..) on our 2005 Golf when it had about 150k miles on it -- the cost was about $6500 (used engine, new turbo, dealer rates) and another $1000 in rental car fees (took them 5 weeks to complete the engine swap.) The adjuster told me they very nearly considered it totaled.

Seeing as you have much more miles, I would say maybe $4k on the high end.

gatz

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Golf TDI PD, 2006 MkV Golf GTI
Is it normal to take five weeks to replace an engine at a dealer? I'm taking it there was no body or paint work.
I think the issue was dealing with the insurance. The insurance company wanted to source the engine & turbo themselves (used). One of the replacement engines had an issue, and twice they got the wrong turbo and finally they gave in and bought a new one. Believe me the guys at the dealer started to get a bit pissy when I was calling every 3 days wondering why its not done. I bet the tech who did the job was in way over the 10 hours labor they charged.

I could have purchased a brand new long block and installed it myself for less money and less time.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Any idea what you think I will get as a payout for the total loss?
When I registered my '03 Golf back in the spring of 2015, it showed a book value for average condition at $2100. I'm thinking that an insurance company would offer me somewhere between $1500 and $1800 if it got wrecked. (Which falls pretty closely in line with Indigo's comments above).

I could maybe get $3000 if I fought it and showed them the thousands in receipts, but it would be tough. At the end of the day, it's still an old car that's worth absolutely nothing to a good chunk of the population. I think I'd be lucky to get $3000 for it on the used market right now. A TDI enthusiast might be willing to pay more based on all the work that has been done, but nobody else would.

I think if you get a couple grand you'll be doing good. Any more and it'll be gravy.

Let us know how the story ends.

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Ouch, hope your neck is okay. I found that - while dealing with insurance - they actually have a value book they use. You could have a $10,000 stereo, ejection seats and a gold-plated intake plenum - but they'd go by that book.

I'd go after all the pain and suffering expenses and not worry too much about the car value.

xxdolphinscryxx

TDI
2003 Golf, Black
My neck is great actually!! I walked away with some seat belt bruises and that's it. I wrangled in my mechanic (Jason D.) to let him know about it, and he's given me some good advice too!

Wish I could play the "pain and suffering" game, but I tossed that out the window when I decided not to go to the urgent care to get checked up. I know it was dumb, but I just didn't care at that point (shock).

I'll definitely let y'all know how this turns out. Perhaps I'll get lucky and Geico won't screw me over. :) :) :)

Last edited:

xxdolphinscryxx

TDI
2003 Golf, Black
to my shock, surprise, and utter amazement - they are offering me $3521 for the total loss!!

I was NOT expecting that! :)

and that is the end of my wonderful car's story :(

Hwycruiser

TDI
If you can keep it after they pay you it appears fixable. The hood fenders are bolt on and easily obtainable online. Depends on damage to mechanicals.

xxdolphinscryxx

TDI
2003 Golf, Black
I can't fix anything lol. My mechanic is taking it off my hands! And I'm getting a replacement from him! :)
Upgrading to a Jetta wagon!