2003 bluetooth retrofit?

sch8489

TDI
2003 jetta, 2003 beetle
subject pretty much says it all. can I? or am I stuck with an '06 and the dealer kit?

thanks.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
OK, (demonstrating my utter lack of knowledge since the only bluetooth I have is for my cell phone and possibly the wireless stuff on my bicycle's computer,) bluetooth for what?

sch8489

TDI
2003 jetta, 2003 beetle
it allows your phone to connect to the car's audio system. standard in acura, bmw, etc. the phone cuts off the radio, plays the phone through the audio system, there's a mic, the phone display is displayed on an mfd or the radio/nav system, etc. vw sells a kit for the '06 (or the dealer thinks they do, he's not really sure), and I'm assuming you could get it in the taureg that year since you can get it in '04, so I'm wondering if it retrofits. long shot, but thought I'd ask.

skicrave

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat 1.8T 4Motion Wagon
Short of going to something like Pioneer's Avic-Z1 (which I have and am not all that impressed with), you won't get a fully integrated solution that displays call information on the radio or FIS display.

That being said, with voice dialing you can still take advantage of most of what Bluetooth has to offer with any hands-free kit from Motorola or Parrot. Both of those will mute the radio, and if you've recorded voice prompts, they will announce the name of the caller before answering. You can also voice dial anyone in your phone book.

Not the full integration of an OEM level solution, but still functional.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
My brother has the Motorola Bluetooth setup in his Audi Allroad ad it works quite well. I'm currently considering a Pioneer GPS unit that has Bluetooth capabilities so I can use my phone in a hands-free environment and have GPS, plus this allows me to transfer the capabilities to whatever car I'm driving. Unfortunately it doesn't integrate with the car stereo .. I guess I'll have to manually mute the radio whenever I want to use the phone.

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
Ed,

I have the Garmin Nuvi that has this capability - no it doesn't integrate with the stereo - but it is pretty cool as it acts both as a hands free set up and allows you to place phone calls to points of interest from the GPS unit database.

MCA

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the feedback, MCA. I'll be shopping around for the next week or so to find the right "gift" for myself! :D I haven't started Christmas shopping for family and friends yet, but I've already figured out what I'm giving myself this year! LOL!

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Look at the Garmin Nuvi series of GPS Units. Some of them are bluetooth capable. I have a Nuvi 660 on order for my vehicles.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
sch8489 said:
subject pretty much says it all. can I? or am I stuck with an '06 and the dealer kit?

thanks.
Actually some VW radios from 98 and 99.5 (when the new models came out)and all 2002 to present have phone audio input and mute capability built in. They are ready to be connected to a phone interface kit. Only catch is you still have to buy a kit from whomever made you phone. With a bluetooth kit you can hookup any bt phone, not just one model like a wired car kit.

DriverGear actually lists a harness for single and double DIN radios. You use the harness to connect your car kit to the factory radio.

Of course if you are in the market for an aftermarket radio, I'm sure one of the newer Alpines have an adaptor box to hook up a phone.

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
SilverGhost said:
Actually some VW radios from 98 and 99.5 (when the new models came out)and all 2002 to present have phone audio input and mute capability built in. They are ready to be connected to a phone interface kit. Only catch is you still have to buy a kit from whomever made you phone. With a bluetooth kit you can hookup any bt phone, not just one model like a wired car kit.

DriverGear actually lists a harness for single and double DIN radios. You use the harness to connect your car kit to the factory radio.

Of course if you are in the market for an aftermarket radio, I'm sure one of the newer Alpines have an adaptor box to hook up a phone.
Can you please post a link to this VW accessory? Can't seem to find it on DriverGear..:(

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
pepper10 said:
Can you please post a link to this VW accessory? Can't seem to find it on DriverGear..:(
Sorry, I couldn't find it online either. I have a Driver magazine, flip it over and it is a DriverGear catalog. If you let me know which radio you have, I'll send you the part #. Or better yet I'll post both when I get home this afternoon.

Oh, one is $90ish and the other $45ish. Then you have to get the bluetooth kit from someone (VW, Moto, Nokia, etc.)

Part # for Single DIN 1J0-051-434-B list price $91
Part # for Double DIN 3B0-051-434 list price $46

Last edited:

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know this isn't the exact same thing you're looking for but I just bought myself a Pioneer GPS (AVIC-S1) with Bluetooth and it works as a hands-free speaker/microphone for my Bluetooth phone. The nice thing is it's easily transferable to whichever car I'm driving.

Other members here have posted good things about the Bluetooth systems from Parrot. And like I mentioned above my brother has a Motorola setup in his Audi Allroad that works very well, although it's integrated with his OEM stereo.

Last edited:

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I bought myself a AVIC S1 for xmas also (got it friday). The Bluetooth sucks a lot of juice on both the phone and the S1. However, it works very well. It did take some time to transfer phone numbers (via BT) from my cell to the S1.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
20IndigoBlue02 said:
I bought myself a AVIC S1 for xmas also (got it friday). The Bluetooth sucks a lot of juice on both the phone and the S1. However, it works very well. It did take some time to transfer phone numbers (via BT) from my cell to the S1.
Copycat!!! :D

Nihilator

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 1.8t wagon
Does anyone have the dealer's installation instructions for the 3B0 051 434 harness? I asked for (and received) a Parrot CK3200-LS Bluetooth receiver, and bought the harness from the dealer today. It came with *no* instruction sheet at all.

--Chris

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
There should be a pin layout (diagram) sticker on top of the radio. Three wires; Tel AF+, Tel AF-, Mute. I don't know where each wire is supposed to go, but as long as they match from the radio to you car kit, it should still work.

I'll try to find some more info on it at lunch.

edit:
............................../|. (retainer)
[01][02][03][04][05][06]brown wire here(in 6)
[07][08][09][10][11][12]red/blue wire here(in 12)

Black w/white stipe is mute, goes in plug with power and ground (D11)

This is from the instructions for installing the Moto IHF1000 Bluetooth kit into a VW. If you need I can post the whole instructions.

Oh, and a pic

Last edited:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
ethelene said:
How can you tell if your radio has the feeds and mute function? I have an 05 Passat wagon.
First, you have those. Second, to my knowledge all double DIN radios have those inputs, and most of the later single DINs have those inputs as well.

If you have the chance to have the radio out, there is a sticker on it with a pin out of the plugs on the back. (see my post above for a sample of that sticker)

Daekar

Veteran Member
In a Holler next to A Cow Field, Virginia, USA
TDI
White 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but it seemed a relevant place to ask this question: I have a 2003 Jetta with the Monsoon sound system in it, and I would like to add the ability to play music from my phone through the car stereo. I don't care if it enables hands-free calling or not, I want to be able to pair just like a normal Bluetooth speaker and forget about it. Wanting an invisible installation where I just set the stereo as needed and press a pairing button under the dash or something... no extra screens, no extras, just good sound quality. I've looked around the internet but I've had troubling figuring out what is going to be compatible with my radio.

Would this work?
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_541ISFM21/iSimple-TranzItBlu-ISFM21.html?tp=8395

I am completely ignorant of the conventions employed in car stereos, and I've never removed one from a car... considering having this done by either the dealer or the local VW speciality shop, or maybe a local car audio place.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
The only blue tooth interupt setup would be in mono. The best suggestion would be an adpator that tricks the radio into seeing a CD changer and having it feed bluetooth to that somehow.

I gave up on that radio a couple years ago because there is no reliable way to make new technologies play nice. The hardware is simply too old and out of date. It would be simpler and cheaper to get a replacement head unit with blue tooth built into it. I made the mistake of getting an older Alpine where everything is an add on box. Newer Alpine and Pioneer head units are reasonable in price and come with the stuff most people want all in the box.

BTW - the factory replacement unit for that radio comes with Blue tooth built in.

Jason

Concat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDi
I have an odd bluetooth set up for my MKIV...

I have a iphone blitzsafe adapter attached to a cheap ebay iphone bluetooth receiver. It's all out of site behind/above the head unit.

It works flawlessly. No complaints and I'm pretty sure it's not mono... but I should mention that I only use it to play music, not answer phone calls.

Last edited:

Daekar

Veteran Member
TDI
Just as an update, people might be interested in this: http://enfigcarstereo.com/DENSION_GBL3VW1.html

Adds Bluetooth (hands free calling and high quality music protocols), an aux input (headphone jack), and USB port (read music from USB sticks) all via the CD changer functionality of the original VW radio. Bonus: if you only want Bluetooth, it's invisible - no buttons or extra screens.

Hoping to get one for my birthday!

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
That is the most promising option I've seem so far. Do you have a link or anything? Price?
I read about the unit - it is also factory radio in the Canadian Golf and Jetta city models. I looks a little like the base radio in the MkV but with a couple buttons for the phone right in the middle. Interestingly enough it uses the old style connectors so it will work in place of single DIN radios as well.

Quote from the installation instructions "Installation of MK4 Radio Equipped with MP3 and Volk- L Bluetooth"

I haven't seen one in person. No idea on price, and no part numbers listed. There is a warning that not compatible with Monsoon, but then how many people have run aftermarket radios through their Monsoon amp without problem?

From what I can tell this is what you would get if you went to VW to replace the radio you have. And it was offered as an accessory.

Jason

Daekar

Veteran Member
TDI
I ended up getting the unit I talked about above and I'm very happy with it. Install was very simple, and once I decided on if and how I was going to place the microphone, that was easy too. Sound quality is far better than the tape adapter I'd been using, and my phone connects when the car is started - whatever is playing will continue through the car speakers. I can't use the radio or steering wheel buttons to change tracks or anything (you can with Iphones, apparently) but that wasn't functionality I was interested in. Pending a long service life, I'd give it 5 stars for my application on a MKIV Jetta with the Monsoon system.

EDIT: When the car is not moving, my mother couldn't tell I was using the Bluetooth microphone. When moving, my wife says there is a considerable amount of noise. I suspect a bit of sound damping material and some premium tires would help with that. Not sure if there is really anything electronic to be done about it.

Last edited: