2003 2.0 failing fuel pump?

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
I picked up a 2003 Jetta with the 2.0 (AVH? I think) and 5speed. Car only has 110k but has some odd issues.

First, it has an issue between the gas tank, gauge, and pump. I’ve found that the car runs out of gas when the gauge shows ~1/8 tank left. Low fuel light does not come on. When refilling, it will only accept ~12gal. Gas pump clicks off, and fuel gauge will not go above 3/4-7/8 reading.

Second, I suspect the fuel pump may be weak/failing. I’m not sure if the tank/gauge is faulty (and the tank truly is empty), or the pump cannot harvest fuel below the 1/8 level.
The car will shut off the first time. If wait 5 mins, car will restart and run for another ~10 miles, then starve and die again.
Even with a full tank, the car idles a tad rough. The tach doesn’t fluctuate much, but I notice a rough idle within 150-200 rpm.

Third, it possibly gets subpar mileage. I have achieved ~29mpg Highway at consistently 70-80mph.
My mother complains profusely it gets 21 city. But she also complained to no end when my ‘04 Focus returned her “only” 28city, so who knows...

All of these symptoms (to me) point to a weak fuel pump, but if you drive it with the understanding that it only “holds” 12gal, you would likely never have any issues.

Not sure if I should put a gauge on the fuel port or what

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
It sounds like it may be worth while to give it a new pump. I have an 01 gas wagon and the pump would start to cut out as soon as it got low enough for the low fuel light to come on. A new pump fixed that.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You will need to be 100% certain of WHICH pump assembly to buy, there are many 2.0L SOHC engines, and even variations between those regarding which pump.

Also, these are horribly thirsty. I have owned several, various bodies, with both transmissions. I never really got over 30 MPG, my last one, a 2005 NB BEV engine with a manual got a whopping 27 MPG average driving the same route as my ALH Golf hammers off 51 MPG with ease. The automatic 2003 Jetta I loaned to my mom for a time while I was doing some service to her car got 21 MPG, mostly city, and she is not at all an aggressive driver.

They were only rated about 32 hwy with the manual, and that would mean driving pretty consistent at about 60-65 with no A/C. There was very little reason for VAG to make a fuel efficient gasser back then. Hardly anyone in Europe bought these, they were mostly for North American tastes.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Yes, they are a little thirsty. I probably get 26 -29 MPG with the wagon, 2.0l automatic.

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Thanks for the replies. Sorry, I missed the email notification earlier.

About "thirsty" MPG returns... I don't know. I'm a relatively young driver, and I've owned mostly pick-up trucks my whole life due to work needs. I owned a 1995 Honda Civic hatchback for a while - the "king" of MPGs: 1.5L SOHC, 5spd, no PS, 100k miles - and I could only squeeze ~36mpg out of it on summer gas. The VX (or was it CX?) trims were heralded to get 40+ but at the expense of an ultra-economy ECU tune, and other compromises.

I'm just recently "coming-of-age" with realistic passenger car fuel consumption. I always thought 25+ was 'good' and to hit 35+ you need to drive a tin-can throw-away ****box (read: Nissan Versa or similar). I always thought that high MPGs were typically a semi-unintended result of building a cheap car- lighter cheaper materials, spartan interiors, little sound deadening, a small chassis to start with, etc. I'm looking around nowadays, and even ultra-flimsy vehicles only return 40mpg (the Smart Fortwo, for example is only rated at 41mpg :eek: )
Then, of course, there are the purpose built cars such as Prius, other hybrids, and etc that can achieve 45-50 I suppose.

I figured, if my v6 4x4 compact pick-up can get 16city, 19hwy, and my motorcycle gets 45-50mpg, then a car getting 30 seemed fair.
I know we're now in the land of direct injection, uber-smart ECU technology, electric driven accessories, etc etc and compact cars are edging into 40mpg, but I think 30 is decent for a 18y/o car! Certainly not the "cash for clunkers" V6 Impalas that struggle for 18.

About the fuel pump- you are certainly correct. I would need to get the proper one. My next question was going to be if I need to buy the whole assembly, or if I can simply replace the fuel pump "cartridge". I did this on a 2004 GTO I had. I took the whole fuel assembly out, took it apart, and replaced the actual pump. It was a cylinder the size of a soda can. $40, and it seemed like a universal item when I looked a bit more closely. It's a pump - you give it power, you give it an inlet hose, and you give it an outlet hose.