2002 No Glow plug light

TB

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2003 Jetta TDI and Silver 2001 TDI
I had my 02 tdi off the road for a year and a half but started it up regularly and let it run. I put it outside and let it sit for two weeks and now the glow plug light does not come on. The injector pump solenoid is not getting power either but when I jumper the injection pump solenoid to 12 volts, the glow plug light comes on and it starts and runs just fine.
Should I find the glow plug fuse first? Relay 109 is fine, I had a spare..
Thanks 450 k

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
You've got no power from the relay 109. Check for the ecm fuses.

TB

Veteran Member
TDI
You've got no power from the relay 109. Check for the ecm fuses.
I found two bad fuses and replaced them. Relay 109 still isn't kicking in. With the cover off the relay I can manually close the relay and the glow plugs and the injector solenoid work but it won't react when I turn over the key... Any more thoughts?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Best bet would be to track down the schematic and follow the electrons from the battery to Relay 109... they are going missing somewhere along the way. :)

That said, a worn ignition switch is common on older TDIs and can cause these symptoms. There's a set of contacts that provide power with the key "on" but interrupt power when the key is turned to "start" but also a set that provide power in both the "on" and "start" position... which is the case for Relay 109. The majority of loads are on the first set of contacts (so that these loads are off when attempting to start the engine) so you don't always notice the second set getting dodgy.

Lots of threads here with good pictures detailing how the switch section of the ignition tumblers gets replaced.

Following the electrons methodically is still the best (and cheapest in the long term) approach.

TB

Veteran Member
TDI
Best bet would be to track down the schematic and follow the electrons from the battery to Relay 109... they are going missing somewhere along the way. :)

That said, a worn ignition switch is common on older TDIs and can cause these symptoms. There's a set of contacts that provide power with the key "on" but interrupt power when the key is turned to "start" but also a set that provide power in both the "on" and "start" position... which is the case for Relay 109. The majority of loads are on the first set of contacts (so that these loads are off when attempting to start the engine) so you don't always notice the second set getting dodgy.

Lots of threads here with good pictures detailing how the switch section of the ignition tumblers gets replaced.

Following the electrons methodically is still the best (and cheapest in the long term) approach.
Thanks Vince. I just found my old Haynes manual! I'll keep on keeping on :) I agree, gotta be something between the ignition and relay 109. Keep ya posted..

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Just for $hits and grins……what color is the 109 relay you have now?
If it’s the black one they are prone to failure…..the newer ones are gray.

TB

Veteran Member
TDI
Just for $hits and grins……what color is the 109 relay you have now?
If it’s the black one they are prone to failure…..the newer ones are gray.
It is a gray one. I had replaced it some five years ago. I bought a new one and it didn't make a difference. Somewhere, the power isn't getting to that relay.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Ahh ok….
Critter damage by the ECU?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lol…..hopefully if that the case it will be right at the ECU……thats where I had a nest on a NB I bought for one of my daughters……. Luckily no chewed wires……