2002 New Beetle Injection Pump Problem

xin668

TDI
2002 New Beetle
Hi, I am new here. But I have been reading many great forums on this site without registering. Thanks everyone for contributing great ideas and resources through this website!

I am having some problem with my injection pump. It all started as diesel leaking at the pump. Then I found the videos and seal kits online and decided to replace the seals myself. I am not a mechanic but I have been doing maintenance on my parents and relatives' cars for some years, so I thought it is something I can do. Well, it kind of went well, that I replaced all three seals without much of a problem (the seals that were taught replacing in the video, you know what I am talking about, right? :)) I assembled the pump, and started cranking the engine using a wrench to see if the pump would freeze up, without knowing that the nut I used to crank the engine is actually the 22mm pump timing nut :eek:. I used a marker to make some marks around the 22mm nut and the pulley, and started reverse cracking the engine to see if the nut would move to other position or not, and it did not. Thinking that the timing should still be fine, I tried to start the car. After a few tries without success, and the Vaccom tool says 30-40 mg/st reading, I was in a panic... I thought the pump's electronic connector may not have good connection because some of the diesel fuel went to the male side of the connector. To clean the diesel fuel out, I used brake cleaner and spray into the male side of the connector, and wiped clean with some cotton swabs. I guess I shouldn't have done this, because right now, the car starts but rev to 3000+ rpm at idle, and the Vaccom says 0 mg/st all the time, with lots of smog coming out of the tail pipe!! The engine code also says that the QA upper limit reached!! :eek: I cleared the code and the code reappeared almost immediately after I cleared it. In the past couple days without working on the car, I can tell that the pump is still leaking a little bit of diesel.

I really don't know what to do now. The problems just seem to escalate overtime, and every time I work on it. I really need help.

Many thanks!!

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
First, welcome to the forum.

Second, this is in the wrong forum, but I've let the moderators know and they'll move it to the A4 forum (it's in the A3/B4 forum now).

Third, you need to hammer mod the pump to drop the IQ. Loosen the quantity adjuster and hammer it to the passengers side. Make sure the adaptation is set at 32768 (stock setting) when you do this. You are shooting for an IQ of around 4 if stock and around 5 if modified, since this will allow you some range of movement electronically if you need it. As always, adjust the IQ for smoke and slowdown shudder. It just means the QA isn't in the correct spot.

Last edited:

xin668

TDI
2002 New Beetle
You guys are awesome! I used the hammer mod approach and it worked! I thought when the computer reads 0 mg/st should stop the engine immediately because there is no fuel pumping to the engine, and I was wrong. I found the fuel leak as well, not from the seals that I replaced, but from one of the fuel lines that did not get torqued properly when I assembled everything back together.

I think I must have messed up the timing of the fuel pump. The engine is giving me a 17656 error code that says "Start of Injection Timing Regulation: Control Deviation P1248 - 35-10 - - intermittent." I have a shareware version of the VCDS Lite, and I must purchase the license in order to use the TDI timing graph, is that correct?

Thank you very much!