2002 Jetta w/319K on "Broken Motor" FOR SALE in Wisconsin

duck_man

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I had a timing belt loose some "teeth" :D but not break (I had hoped that was a good thing) a couple weeks ago. Got it back and drove for one more week (+/-800 miles) and then had a "catastrophic failure"...sounded like a box of wrenches getting dumped out under the car while traveling down the interstate! Not sure but I am guessing when the belt "slipped" a valve got dinged just enough to start the END. Not sure if I have any recourse with the mechanic...?
Anybody wanna buy it? New brakes and tires around 300K. I bought it new in 2002. It's in beautiful La Crosse Wisconsin and Oktoberfest starts this weekend (if you want to come see!)

Last edited:

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
If you hadn't continued driving it, I might've bought it off you. Sounds like a valve broke off and probably turned the engine to scrap. A $1000 repair just became a $2-3k repair.

duck_man

TDI
I would have liked to have not driven it as well...should the shop that charged me $900 for the belt/water pump "fix" have known the valve was damaged instead of handing me the keys?!!

duck_man

TDI
I keep saying I'll get pictures but haven't yet!
Here's the poop:
Car is black with gray cloth interior in great shape. A/C works great, sun/moon-roof, 5-speed manual trans., heated seats. A small piece of paint peeled off above each front wheel a couple months ago--I bought the primer and paint but haven't fixed it yet. Other than that just a bunch of stone nicks in the hood from I-90.
I bought it new in Feb. 2002 and drove it 150mi round trip daily from La Crosse WI to Rochester MN. No accidents. New brakes and tires at 305K.
Price: "MAKE AN OFFER"

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
I would have liked to have not driven it as well...should the shop that charged me $900 for the belt/water pump "fix" have known the valve was damaged instead of handing me the keys?!!
Should they have? Yes, that is how most honest and knowledgeable mechanics would handle it. Did they have to, even if they realized the head should have been pulled? No, they provided the service that they were hired to do. Unfortunately many shops would do this. Customer brings in car, says the belt has failed and wants it replaced. Customer did not authorize removal and repair of cylinder head. The damage was already done, which was not the shop's fault.

No offense, but you've owned the car since new, put over 300k on it, and you've been a member here since 2005. I don't understand how you let it fail in the first place. How far did you go over the interval? 5 minutes of searching and reading here and you would have realized that damage was definitely done the first time, and that the head needed to come off without question. This is an interference engine. Yes the shop should have told you. But a responsible owner (even someone who isn't mechanically inclined) would realize that you shouldn't just slap on a new belt and motor on until the spectacular failure.

"make an offer"
$400. :)

Last edited:

duck_man

TDI
I had done the belt at 140K and was planning to do again before winter.
I assumed that the shop knew more than me. After I had it towed in, they actually bled the fuel system and started the engine...work ticket said "belt noise during idle".

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
So it was overdue by 60k miles the first time, this time it was overdue by 79k (assuming the 100k components were used). And you were surprised that it failed?

How was the maintenance on the rest of the car?

$401.01 :p

tex_downey

TDI
90 TD.
yeah so i think im intrested. i could pay the going rate of 400, or a little more if the body is in nice shape.

here is my cell
319 830 0848.

thanks man.