2002 Jetta TDI Headlights Cut Out

OldGrayOwl

TDI
2002 Jetta
My 2002 VW Jetta TDI (with 406000 miles), the headlights cut off. The fog/driving lights stay on. Then, they turn back on without doing anything.
Is there a headlight relay or a wiring harness connector that I should be looking at?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
My daughters Jetta did something similar to this, she would flick the hi beams on and the lights would go out. I had to change the hi beam multi function stalk. In your case it sounds like a loose connection which could be the stalk but I would check the connections on the back of the lights first.

coolvdub

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI/2013 JSW
My 2001 Jetta had the same problem, headlights would intermittently go out every so often. I would toggle the high beams via the stalk switch and they would work again. They finally gave out completely, the stalk switch failed, a new one fixed the problem. I'm guessing you have the same problem.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
The insulation on wires inside headlight housing could also be issue. Likes to disintegrate with age, allows bare wires to touch and cause all sorts of fun things....