2002 jetta glow plug tip broke

teknetrium

TDI
2002 jetta tdi
So i just got the damn thing a week ago and was having hard start issues in the colder weather here in alberta canada so i decided to change the plugs,

3 came out fine 1 of them came out but left the tip inside i didnt even torque near as hard as the other ones and wiggled them in and out to get them out.

How can i get this out? Can i push it into the cylinder and fish it out ? I know they have extraction kits but being a ceramic tip would this be an issues?
Any ideas would help without taking the head off.

Also anybody in alberta near red deer with vcds would come in handy as well.

edit: I am thinking possioble crank by hand and pressure pop it out or take out the injector and make a fitting to pressure up the cylinder with a compresor? Anyone ever done this? Maybe get cylinder close to TDC and light tap free with a hammer and small punch.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I wouldn't push it in any farther.
How would you get it out?
Spinning the engine the may pop it out.
Spinning the engine from the crank pulley with a breaker bar would be I first choice.
Maybe some penetrating oil also.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Hate to say it, but safest bet is to pull the head... You do not want that ceramic bouncing around in your engine, it could do some serious damage.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Agree with Nero, you can pull the head and remove it, or you can replace the valves and maybe the turbo and *THEN find and remove it.
cheers,
Douglas