2002 Jetta 16618 code help

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
Group, I am at wits end. I have tried all the things suggested by the post on how to fix a 16618 code. Initially my CEL came on and I hooked the VAGCOM up and received the code 16618 (intermittent). When investigating I found that the actuator rusted away. I replaced the actuator and in the process found that my vanes in the turbo moved freely (I cleaned the intake at this time). I set the linkage to the same length as the old one. Unfortunately the CEL never went out. I replaced all the vacuum hoses, still did not work. I switched the solenoids (swapped the gray one for the black one) but CEL still on. I replaced the MAF but the CEL is still on. I cleaned the snow screen and replaced the air filter (another suggestion) but no luck. I do not know where or what to do now? Any suggestions or help. CEL is on and I need to get it inspected. Thanks for any suggestions.

chz17

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta TDI GL 5spd, 2004 jetta TDI PD
Are you try to cleaned the code, then to see it will come back?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
Group, just wanted to give an update on this issue. I tried clearing the code (easiest thing). The code went away and I had high hopes. Stayed off for ~1 hour as I was driving it around (was not putting it under load). This all changed when I started up a hill. As soon as it started under load, went back into limp mode and the light came on with the same code. So with that I went about the task of adjusting the actuator arm. As I stated I adjusted it to the same length as the old. I used a minivac and adjusted the length until the turbo arm started to move when the gauge read 5 psi. After that drove it around and what a difference. more power and the light is now off. So thanks again for the help. So with that I caution everybody if you are replacing the actuator do not assume that just because you adjust it to the same length as the old that it will be right. Get a minivac (or borrow one) and adjust properly.