2002 Golf TDI turn signal issue

bowelder

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW golf TDI with tech package
My Golf has been bulletproof! I'd drive it to California tomorrow without hesitation, even though I have 308,000 miles on it. I've had minor issues along the way but nothing serious. My latest minor issue is with the turn signals. When I activate my signals, left or right, and I'm waiting to turn, the blinking arrow and clicker will just stop. Sometimes it starts back and sometimes it doesn't. I can re-activate the signal and it will blink again. Sometimes it will start and stop several times while I wait to turn. I've read quite a bit on here about phantom blinking, but mine never blinks on its own. If you have any advice I would greatly appreciate it. I am in the growing minority who still uses my signals and it is bothering me that it isn't working correctly!

Thanks for any advice!

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I'm guessing its a bad connection in the turn signal switch. Probably needs to come apart and get cleaned and lubed judging by age and symptoms. They tend to fail in the extra-clicky mode but bad connections should logically produce less-clicks. Have you seen this thread:How-To: Flakey Turn Signal Clicking Fix.

I would not recommend "spray and pray" of any cleaners into the switch. This is what happened to mind when I did that: Smoking VW Turn Signal - YouTube