2002 Golf TDI Auto - Air conditioning stopped cooling.. an hour later - engine temp..

investmart

TDI
2002 Golf TDI GLS Automatic
Hi All,
My cooling air conditioning stopped working today while I was driving. well it was on, just was not providing nice cool enough air. I continued driving and about an hour later my engine temperature went up and the red temperature warning light turned on! I immediately stopped the car. (I checked and I have enough liquid in the coolant). Then after 30 minutes I turned on the engine while air conditioning was OFF. engine temperature is normal. so apparently everything works fine as long as air conditioning is NOT on. obviously I am not going to turn the air conditioning on until I see a mechanic. There are a lot of experts here and I just wanted to ask what you believe is most likely the cause?
THANKS.
ps. also, I checked engine oil and i have enough oil

investmart

TDI
good point! I don't know, is there an easy way to check that? Thank you.
Also, would fans not working properly explain temperature of engine going up? why ONLY when air conditioning is on?

investmart

TDI
Hi Dieseldorf, quick update my problem was fixed today by replacing a FAULTY TEMPERATURE SENSOR. Can you believe that's all it was!
:)
Regards,
Neil

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Neil, good to hear. A/C problems fall in one of two repair categories:

• $50
  • $1500

investmart

TDI
wow. scary. I did pay for diagnosis though and work. total of around $200. I know I'm paying A LOT for service (a VW dealer in Canada)
but.. at least you know they are reliable/professional.