2002 golf accessory belt

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I started to hear a bad bearing type noise on startup that would go away shortly seconds after the car was started. If I stopped at a store, you would hear that scrape noise and it would go away after 2 seconds. Yesterday I started the car, went to pull out and had no power steering, battery light same on. Opened the hood and the belt was snapped. How do I figure out what is the cause of this? Seems that all the pulleys spin freely, but I need to double check. Power steering pulley seems harder to turn than the rest of them.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
First of all when the accessory belt breaks it often doesn’t just snap it shreds into spaghetti like strands that can get sucked behind the lower timing belt cover and wind around the crankshaft throwing the timing off. It would be a good idea to check your crankshaft and make sure this hasn’t happened to you. Maybe one or two strands that haven’t thrown the timing off yet.

The alternator pulley should spin in one direction and freewheel in the other. All other pulleys should spin easily with no noise.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
To be clear the alternator pulley will spin in one direction and not the other. Take a small screwdriver or wooden piece and stick it in the alternator fins. The pulley should then by hand turn easily in one direction but not the other.

I have a spare ps pump so I just went and spun the pulley. Keep in mind there is no fluid in it, it spins easily but does not keep spinning and it makes no noise. How old is you belt? Is the tensioner bouncing?

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
The ps will never spin effortlessly if it has fluid in it, it is a pump after all. Something on the car locked up causing the belt to break. Unless the belt was a piece of junk to begin with and then who knows. How old is the belt ?

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
A bad pulley might cause that. This might all be heat related, heat of the bearings that is. I would suspect either the tensioner roller or the plastic idler roller spit the grease out of itself. Post a pic of both ends of the belt.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Also check your ac pulley/ bearing on the ac clutch. Had this happen to me , had some noise that I’d look at later , stopped for some pizza for dinner with the family, when I came out car wouldnt start, sounded like a dead battery. Tried to pop the clutch with some people pushing it….no joy engine was locked up….. I finally had to cut the belt and car fired right up.
I got home and after dinner found the ac clutch pulley bearing seized .

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The ac clutch and pulley is changeable without opening the ac system, you may have to take the compressor loose from the mount, I have only had to do one on a BEW so far and the compressor is mounted at the bottom and you still have to take it loose from the mount just letting it hang with the hoses still connected.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Hardest part is getting the internal snap ring off. Get a snap ring player set that has a 90 degree bend , that will make it easier….. ive done 4 so far in my family fleet…… I keep a spare clutch set on my shelf….don’t forget to push the inserts on the compressor back in a little to make reinstallation easier.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I’ve gotten mine off eBay. Just make sure it’s for your type of compressor I believe that there are a couple that go on our mk iv cars.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Amazon or eBay be sure to check which compressor you have first.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I just did this job. The hardest part by far was getting the new circlips back on. The snap ring pliers I bought took the old ones off pretty quickly, but I struggled (I mean for a couple hours) to reinstall the new ones. They wouldn’t spread the ring wide enough open to get them back on. I remembered I had a duckbill type pair (used for my Chevy transfer case), and those worked.

Also, make sure the circlips are fully seated. I thought mine were, but had to r&r a second time when after testing the compressor I heard an awful racket.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also there are some spacers on that shaft, make sure you take note of their position and reinstall them in the same order.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ummmm…..yeah that’s toast……
That looks like the one on the normal compressor , sanden compressor.
Ive gotten mine off eBay

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
It goes on the shaft after you install the pulley. A second one holds the clutch coil on. After installation, tap the snap rings with a hammer on a drift to ensure they’re seated fully. Don’t ask me how i know.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
snap ring is probably still in there
its just the idler bearing that you need, google will be your friend, it's probably only available with the pulley

you can also run a shorter belt that just goes to the alternator and nothing else if you're fine with armstrong steering

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Try CoolAirVW. He did a recent video on this subject, and may even have parts for sale.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
The foam covers the holes in the doors. If it wasn't there, the air would just blow right through.

We could certainly talk for hours (I probably could talk for days, being in the service industry) about dumb or seemingly useless designs and such on cars though. But, if you wanted a "perfect" and "would never break and last forever" car, it would probably cost you several million dollars and all the companies would already be out of business. So....
Try this.

Will this work? Or is this a gamble? How do you match up the correct kit?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I’ve changed several of theses in the family fleet. There should be no problem with the fit. I even keep a spare set on my shelf.