2002 auto jetta 1.9 ALH short crank no start

Casaid1

TDI
ALH
I have a 2002 VW Jetta 1.9 ALH diesel with the auto.
Little bit of backstory. Got it couple weeks ago. Was driving and running fine. Then started having weird issue where it would crank for a second then the starter would free spin. But would start after a few tries.
Then one day going down the road my tensioner gave way on the timing belt and my engine shut off.
Got timing all done correctly.
Everything was lines up to TDC and relined up after 2 rotations.
Now we're trying to start it and it wont crank for more than 1/2 a second to a second before the starter free spin and the engine doesnt start.
No codes on the VCDS.
Getting fuel to all but injector #3 with the wire going to it.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Casaid1

TDI
ALH
Thank you for the reply sir. We are currently bleeding the lines and having success with all but #3. We will continue bleeding after we try a new starter.

97caron

Veteran Member
TDI
NB
If your timing belt tensioner failed while driving. You have way bigger problems than cranking engine over. To start with bent valves and collapsed lifters. Damage is done.

Casaid1

TDI
ALH
Engine turns over nice and easy by hand. Timing was still on. And no visible scaring on pistons.

97caron

Veteran Member
TDI
NB
Oh, Easy fix is the starter. Replace it when you get the rest of the carnage resolved.

jakej78b

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI ALH 1.9
Pistons might look good, but do the valves and lifters look good? I can attest to a nice smashed lifter resulting from an event like this. I just bought a car with a smashed lifter likely from a similar event.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Assuming you ruled out damage from the event, it's the starter, battery or heavy wires/connects. Remove and clean the big ground on top of the transmission. Starter likely.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Then started having weird issue where it would crank for a second then the starter would free spin. But would start after a few tries.
The gear in the starter has a one way clutch in it.
When it gets weak it does that.
I use to buy them from a local rebuilder real cheap.