2002 1.9l tdi golf leaking oil

LUKEIVEY0701

TDI
2002 tdi golf gls 1.9L
I've recently noticed a oil leak on the back side of the engine near the break booster area. I got up under the car and it was everywhere. I cleaned it off and I still cannot locate the leak. it seems to be a tiny leak from the droplets on the ground but I'm afraid its much larger than it seems , would anyone know where I should check?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Valve cover or the vacuum pump gasket would be a good starting point, with the valve cover being the likely suspect.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Amazone
UV leak detector
Good powerful UV light
You will find it really fast

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Valve cover. The aftermarket ones are not very good, get an OEM one, and maybe get new bolts (7) and torque it down properly. I'd also maybe put a new vacuum pump seal on there, too.

LUKEIVEY0701

TDI
2002 tdi golf gls 1.9L
Valve cover or the vacuum pump gasket would be a good starting point, with the valve cover being the likely suspect.
i just looked at the vacuum pump and found a leak but it seems way too small to cover the bottom of the engine there is no leak around the valve cover that i can see.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Fix the leak and see if the oil on the bottom of the engine dries out.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If the oil doesn't dry out then you'll need to inspect the valve cover a little closer.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you mean by taking pics with your phone, I’ve used my phone several time in tough to see areas. For instance I’ve used it to take a clear close up shot of the turbo wheel so that I could inspect it. The turbo internals are hard to see close up without a little help from your phone.

You might be able to see where the oil is coming from by viewing from underneath a properly supported car. A camera phone might help you view the area up around the intake and exhaust.

However these cars are known for valve cover leaks, so if the oil is coming from near the top it’s likely the valve cover. Most of us will remove the cover make sure the sealing surface is flat and clean add some RTV to those surfaces and torque it down to spec. Which is less than 10 foot lbs if I remember.