2001 TDI Golf Suspension Upgrade

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I'm currently running factory springs with Bilstein TC sports, but found a good deal on a set of Vogtland springs designed for a 2003 GTI. Is there a big weight difference between the GTI front end and out ALH motor? I think these springs should work fine especially if their higher rate anyhow? I have 200k miles on the mounts so was thinking of ordering two new strut mounts for the front and new bump stops for the rear. Also two new spring perches for the rear. Anything else you guys think should be replaced while we're replacing the springs? Are the rear twist beam bushings hard to replace? was thinking replacing those since car has high miles? Thanks.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
The Cupra-R rear axle bushings will make a difference. I have done two without removing the axle or breaking open the brakes. First was a serious learning experience, and the second a whole lot easier. Get the biggest air hammer you can find, install a bushing splitter chisel in it and removal is easy. I don't know how you feel about tool investment, but air hammers are useful...for lots of stuff...LOL
cheers,
Douglas

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Replace your rear bushings. Mine are rusted solid, as in, when I hit a bump the shocks rattle because the rear axle doesn't move.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
rear axle beam bushings? I think mine maybe also cause i keep hearing a clunk as i go over bumps coming from the rear end? I'll upgrade them to cup ra R or Whiteline bushings. I already have audi tt rear a arm bushings but have never replaced the forward bushing spring may replace those? If the a arm needs to come off to replace the bushing shouldn't i just replace both ball joints too? I don't really want this to turn into a big money project, but it probably all needs to be done.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
rear axle beam bushings? I think mine maybe also cause i keep hearing a clunk as i go over bumps coming from the rear end? I'll upgrade them to cup ra R or Whiteline bushings. I already have audi tt rear a arm bushings but have never replaced the forward bushing spring may replace those? If the a arm needs to come off to replace the bushing shouldn't i just replace both ball joints too? I don't really want this to turn into a big money project, but it probably all needs to be done.
I put Whitelines in both our Jettas. 3 piece and real simple installation. Front also. Synthetic rubber so they should last a long time. Firm and smooth, I would use them again. they also make one for the steering column

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Nice! Wonder how the steering column one would work? I'll shop around and see who could sell me all parts at a good price.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I never looked into the steering column bushing, just saw that it was on their website. I purchased my parts through NAPA when I had a shop discount there. I would imagine they are available online though.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Guys as far as the a arms what would be less labor paying my shop to press in new front bushings or just buying new complete a arms which are only 109 with all new bushings. Do the front bushings go in very easily? Thanks

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As long as the metal around the bushing hasn’t been deformed they go in and out easily. I had one that had bottomed out and was ground a little that gave me some difficulty on one of our cars

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
i got a set of seat skoda cupra R rear axle bushings should i replace the bolts there or can we reuse them? Thanks.