2001 Jetta TDI doesn't turn over . . . help please

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
My 2001 Jetta TDI, after several trips around town, flat out failed to turn over at all this evening. I had driven it several miles, stopped by my father's house for about ten minutes, and came back out to start it. Nothing.

There is is a short series of clicks and a wooshing sound (as if the vacuum was releasing) when I turn the ignition off. When I turn it on, nothing. Lights were still bright, and I'm not sure the battery could have died ten minutes after a solid drive around town.

No check engine light. Have a VCDS, but haven't had a chance to hook it up to the car yet. Not sure what to look for when I do.

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions.

For now, it's sitting in my father's driveway, awaiting daylight so I can take a decent look at it.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
If none of the usual dash/warning lights come on when you turn the key to "ON" (not start/crank), but interior lights/etc come on, then one of the first suspect is the main power relay 109. A fairly common failure item especially if its still original.

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Update: The solenoid clicks, the electrical system is good. The starter is seized up. :mad:

Had the Jetta towed over to the dealership (I know, but my guru is ~100 miles away) to have them double-check, and replace the starter if needed.

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Update Part 2: Finally got the Jetta back today. Happy driver is happy! :)

Sunflower Motors in Topeka, KS managed to order the wrong starter. They then waited until nearly closing time on Monday (the day they had told me they would have the car finished) to tell me they wouldn't be done until Tuesday. Tuesday they told me they'd ordered the wrong part and it would arrive Wednesday, at which time they'd put the starter on.

Wow.

They replaced a grommet for (if I understood the description) the CCV that was leaking oil, so the landlady will be pleased about the lack of oil spots.

They did do the recall work on the brake light and hazard light switches. In the process, they reset the clock and multifunction display. They didn't bother to set the clock back to the correct time, of course.

Oh, and I have an extra (I hope) part they left on the passenger seat. Looks like a 4 inch long thick metal oval loop with a screw coming out of one end, and has a VW logo and part number on it. Hope it wasn't anything important. I'll post a picture, if anyone's curious.

So, yeah, wouldn't have taken it there if I could have taken it to my guru, and hope to not have to take it there again.

But the green machine is back on the road, so many faults and foibles may be forgiven.

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
That sounds as if it is your tow hook.
Don't lose it.
It fits in a slot in styrofoam in your spare tire well.

Dan
Thanks. The fellows at the dealership told me the same thing when I finally got the service department to answer their phone. They claimed the AAA guy had left it there. Interestingly, I watched the AAA guy load the car onto a flatbed. He never opened the trunk. This dealership is pretty generous. They give you a free load of fertilizer with every service job. :rolleyes: