2001 Jetta key matching "issue" in VCDS

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Hi all... searching/reading about 100 threads didn't turn this up, so thought I'd ask.

2001 Jetta... have SKC, attempting to add an additional key via VCDS.

Following these VCDS instructions:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer_II_Key_Matching_(Cluster)

It appears to have worked... all three keys (the two old ones and the new one) will start the car and it runs fine... but the immob light is staying on solid.

Obviously a concern... and of course it's making me wish I had added a Immob delete to my tune.

Anyone seen this before / have any suggestions?

Vince

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
More info... running a full code scan revealed a 01176 - Key 65-10 Unauthorized - Intermittent fault on the Instruments module and a corresponding 17978 Engine Start blocked by Immobalizer code on the Engine... although they may have been there from when I inserted the new key before attempting adaptation just to confirm the locksmith had done a good job cutting the key.

Clearing both codes has had no effect... engine starts and runs fine using all three keys but Immob light stays on solid.

A full scan for codes reveals all clear at this point.

Oh, and fully-registered VCDS version 11.11.3, btw. :)

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
Vince are your sure you have the correct immo key? I believe there are two to three diferent changes over the mark IV generation to the Immo and the key itself. I dont know the differences myself only that they do exist.
Hopefully this helps.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
[FONT=&quot]Follow this and you should be OK:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Turn ignition on , do not start car,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][Select][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[17 - Instruments]
[Login - 11]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Enter0 + 4-digit PIN. For example, if your PIN is 1234, enter 01234. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][Do It!][/FONT]

[Adaptation - 10]

Enter 21 in "Channel Number".
[Read]

The "Stored Value" is the number of keys currently matched.

Enter a "new value" 0
[Test]

[Save]

Do not leave adaptation,

[Read]
Channel 21 again
Enter a "new value" number of the key( if you have 3 keys, Enter 3)
[Test]

[Save]

[Done, Go Back]

[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

[FONT=&quot]Switch Ignition OFF and remove Key.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Insert the Second Key and switch Ignition On, Immo light will flash for 2 sec and should go off.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Switch Ignition OFF and remove Key.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Insert the Third Key and switch Ignition On, Immo light will flash for 2 sec and should go off.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All keys [/FONT]must be completed within 60 seconds after saving the Adaptation!

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks guys.

GLITDI: good thought... in this case the SKC was pulled directly from the cluster so I'm fairly confident it is correct.

Jetta97: will give your version of the instructions a try...the version I was using from the Ross-Tech site didn't include setting the number of keys to 0 first.

Always a little skittish with this stuff as I don't want a brick for a car.. but I really really don't want to give the dealer any more money than I have to, either. I guess if you want to make an omelet you have to break a few eggs?

I never did get the flashing immob light between keys... it seemed to be working so I just counted to 5 and then inserted the next key. Maybe by setting the keys to 0 I can start over.