2001 Golf white smoke loss of power

1975 Kombi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2011 Touareg TDI, 1992 D Jetta, 1992 TD Jetta, 2001 NB TDI, 1992 Golf coupe D
So I'm posting this because it is a Golf I'm looking to buy. Current owner says he was driving and seen a puff of white smoke and loss of power. He had it towed home and had the turbo replaced with a rebuilt turbo. It will not start now after turbo install. So I'm going to look at it tomorrow so my question is what should I look at.

He said there is 380 - 400 psi across all 4 cylinders.

Shudder valve stuck?
Injection pump done?
New turbo toast?
Vacuum lines not reconnected properly?
Tensioner went?
Belt skipped?
Carbon broke free of intake and blocked valves??

Even if the turbo is not running correctly or innercooler piping is not sealed well it should at least start correct?????

Any codes I should look for with my vagcom??

Thanks for the ideas in advance.

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I would need to see the compression test myself.

Easy to verify.

Unlikely

Won’t prevent car from starting

Again won’t prevent car from starting

Possible

Possible

Then you won’t get 380-400 across all 4 cylinders

I would pull the valve cover and see if the hydraulic lifters are spider cracked and inspect as much of the belt as possible.

I would also try to check the mechanical timing to see if anything skipped

1975 Kombi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2011 Touareg TDI, 1992 D Jetta, 1992 TD Jetta, 2001 NB TDI, 1992 Golf coupe D
Super thanks. I've been pouring over many many threads. 100's lol I'll put a list together to check tomorrow.

Last edited: