2000 vw no crank no start

Vwsleeper

TDI
01 jetta stage 3
I have an 2000 jetta tdi that drives like a dream but the other day i drove to my family house for dinner parked the car in the driveway when i left and tried to start the car all the normal light lit up but no sound came from the starter (which is brand new) the next day i came back to the car with my voltmeter i tested the battery (brand new as while) im getting 12.4 volt there and on the leads to the starter i unplugged the starter plug and was getting no power so i also checked the switch for clutch pedal im getting 12.3 volts there. Can anyone tell me tell what is making me lose power before i go completely through the wire harness

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Could be your ignition switch.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Have you tried to jump 12 volts to the solenoid on the starter to see if it pulls and cranks?

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Test 12v to that small wire on the back of the starter when the key is in CRANK position.. (have someone sit in side and push the clutch, turn the key to CRANK). If you have 12v, the issue is the starter.

If you don't have 12v it could be clutch switch, ignition or other. If youre going to do what csstevej mentioned, please in neutral and e-brake on.

Vwsleeper

TDI
01 jetta stage 3
Yes i have tried that the starter does kick in is there any way to replace the ignition switch without having to take it to the dealer to have them reprogram it

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Does the glow plug light come on? If not change out the 109 relay.

https://www.idparts.com/relay-109-a4b4a3-p-350.html

Up under the dash above the drivers feet. Behind the big wiper relay (377) which you can remove for better access.

Ignition switch DIY.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/A4_Ignition_Switch_Replacement.pdf

Just reread your post. The ignition switch symptoms are no radio, headlights and a couple of other things when you turn the switch on. A bad 109 on the other hand in addition to having no glow plug light everything will light up and it cranks and cranks but just will not start.

Last edited:

Vwsleeper

TDI
01 jetta stage 3
The 109 relay is good glow plug light comes on everything work but not getting power to starter to tell it to engage

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Follow the link Tdijarhead sent, it’s very easy about an hour to do.
Basically take the upper and lower steering columns off.
You will see the wire harness on the lower lh side,
There’s a small screw that’s covered with red sealant on the bottom, pick that out , loosen the screw and the whole switch assy comes out.remove the harness, plug the new one in and reverse putting it back together...
Some people disconnect the battery.....some don’t, there is power that goes to the switch so it’s always hot....

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Power to the starter, the little wire should see 12v in start operation, the big wire carries battery + direct. Sometimes the big wires can corrode from the inside out, you can use jumper cable to rule that out (fo be careful). The other thing that can fail, rare, is the ground wire on top of the transmission, connect needs to be good.
If the little wire has no volts in start condition, troubleshhoot ignition switch and/or wires/connects.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
In post 1 you mentioned 'i also checked the switch for clutch pedal im getting 12.3 volts there'

In post 5 you mentioned 'i have tried that the starter does kick in'

If your getting 12.3 volts at the clutch pedal -when you turn the key to start- then the ignition switch is good.

You should check if you also have power at the other pin on the clutch pedal with the clutch pedal pressed down.

When you said 'starter does kick in' do you mean the starter clicked but did not spin the engine, or the engine did spin?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Could be the start relay as well, I believe it's one of the 53 relays. Should be spot 3, so top bank third from the left.