2000 tdi jetta, cruise control not working.

Petesaguytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Bhw Passat
I used vagcom to determine that cruise is enabled, can see all the switches functioning ie they activate zero or one for feedback, but the cruise does not engage, no dash light comes on.

Never had experience with cruise not working before. Anyone else encountered this and suggest a first step to fix.

I am thinking first about reseating the ecu connectors. Since the switches work I am afraid the ecu is maybe faulty or something that is not in a feedback loop it not communicating.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Just to confirm... you can see:

1) both brake switches

2) the clutch switch

3) the stalk switch

opening and closing?

BTW, not sure if the 2000 model actually activated the cruise light on the dash... I vaguely recall it might have been late 2001. Someone wiser than me will hopefully chime in. :)

Petesaguytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Bhw Passat
So what I see seems to be all normal, but for one thing in the Field 4 Data field 1 for ccs switched on is at 1, but the second digit is not showing (indicates 0=Cancel/off activated)

Compared with my passaat and that digit is lit as 1.

After reading confirmed that there is no cruise light on this vehicle.

The coding for the ecu shows a G as a prefix.

I guess I am not really sure what that 2nd digit means because it seems a bit reduntant in the description

Petesaguytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Bhw Passat
all the appropriate lights come on but the one, so the field looks like 000001 when it should read 000011. The brake codes are 000 not active, and 011 when active. All switches are giving a 1 when toggled as indicated in the tables

Petesaguytdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Bhw Passat
Resolved

So the fix in this case, to get the second digit ie 000011 was to replace the column turn signal assembly.

I tried using contact cleaner in the original switch as per wingnut's write up, but no go. Reseated the ecu connectors, no go.

Hope that helps others narrow down where that digit indicates a problem when they encounter it.

thanks for the input people!!:D

Slaterstm

TDI
2000 TDI Jetta
Just replaced on cruise control column switch and it now works, but when I press the switch to resume, it shuts off. It will not increase. I do not have a code reader yet.