2000 Jetta Totaled - Looking For Replacement

Fuel_Miser

TDI
2000 Jetta
My beloved 2000 Jetta was recently totaled by a felon fleeing a police attempting to serve him with an attempted murder warrant. I'm lucky to be alive. I'm looking for a replacement Jetta and wondering where are the best places to search for used TDI's

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Glad to hear you are okay. That is one scary crash. I would search the For Sale section on the forum or your local kijiji listings. Good luck in finding a replacement vehicle.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Wow! That's insane! I'd look on Facebook marketplace, or then there is a group tdi buy sell that has a lot.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
No one is going to ask about the elephant in the room, you've got a ladder strapped to the roof of your Jetta?

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
What's wrong with a ladder on the roof? He has a proper attachment on tow hitch and ladder is secure. Don't see anything wrong with it. The fact that it stayed attached after that hit means he done a good job securing his equipment.better than most of the idiot truck drivers I see day in, day out
You miss the unlikely nature of a little car carrying a large piece of equipment...

Fuel_Miser

TDI
2000 Jetta
LOL, I had gotten so used to carrying a 28' extension ladder around that I forgot that anyone would find it unusual. I'm a catastrophic insurance adjuster and a home inspector and need to access 2 story roofs. I installed a luggage rack on top of the car and had a custom mount made that had a T bar extending up from the tow hook in the back. I also tow the car with behind my motorhome. The ladder has stayed on top of the car for over 50,000 miles without incident. Most people in my profession drive pickup trucks but I liked the mileage from the Jetta. With the seats down and the luggage rack I carry the 28' extension ladder, 17' folding ladder, 15' collapsible ladder and a 3' step ladder plus a lot of other gear. Which is why I want another Jetta. Mine had 416,000 miles and going strong. I would post pics but I gave up after an hour of trying to figure out how.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
I sold my 2003 Jetta and got a 2014 Cruze diesel. It’s so much nicer, bigger and refined with the 6 speed aisin automatic. Mine is tuned via EFI Live and gets better freeway MPGs than my Jetta did. 58 MPGs at 65 mph was common with stock wheels and LRR tires.

They are cheap too. $8k with 50k miles and clean title is all I paid from a private seller.

They made them only in 2014-2015. If you are in Canada the emissions can be deleted and tuned for 200 hp with the stock turbo/injectors/transmission. In stock form they are kinda like a Turbo Diesel Buick, fully loaded with leather interior. The diesel Cruze comes with the RS suspension package standard. which is struts up front with a torsion beam/watts link (z-link) in the rear. The suspension can be upgraded so it doesn’t handle like a Buick if that appeals to you.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Won't touch anything GM with a 10 foot pole, after working on them and seeing how cheaply they are built, just no thanks. The amount of radiators and cooling system parts I've changed just isn't funny. At least mk7 VWs leak coolant in one place if they leak.

And comparing a 2003 to a 2014-2015 vehicle is just silly.

To the OP just keep looking, you'll find one. Nothing wrong with putting ladders on your Jetta. If they're secure and within the legal length with red flag, drive on. Don't let anyone tell you different
GM is huge. They make some great cars and some real turds. I won't argue with you on that, however the Cruze Diesel doesn't share the same driveline as the other Cruze models. It's has an engine made by Opel in Germany and a Transmission made by Aisin. So the only thing GM about it is the body/accessories. With that said the car had some minor issues after I got it but after those were fixed it has been solid.

I've owned a Mk V Jetta and currently also own a MKVI Sportwagen. The Mk V wasn't trouble free, it had issues when I did the buyback on it. The JSW has been good but it also has less than 50K miles on it. so time will tell. The Cruze is my favorite diesel and the car I drive daily. I do not miss my 2003 Jetta TDI.

Just wanted to let the OP know there are other diesel options out there besides VW.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
With the seats down and the luggage rack I carry the 28' extension ladder, 17' folding ladder, 15' collapsible ladder and a 3' step ladder plus a lot of other gear. Which is why I want another Jetta. Mine had 416,000 miles and going strong. I would post pics but I gave up after an hour of trying to figure out how.
You have 416,000+ reasons for buying another Jetta. I've about 10 per cent of your Jetta's miles - - - but have noted ZERO problems to date.

best of wishes for your search,

ez ('17 Jetta 'S' 1.4 5M)