2000 Jetta TDI No Start

VWSheetal

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I have a 2000 VW Jetta TDI. The car has been sitting for the past 5-6 years. I have a no start issue. Despite hooking a battery charger to the car, the engine will not turn over or even attempt to - no clicking from the starter soleniod. Does anyone know if there are any common causes to this?

509vw

TDI
03 Jetta - ALH
Before you do anything else put a socket on the crank bolt and turn the engine over manually. Then try a known "good" battery. Here's why: The battery probably won't accept a charge because it's been sitting for so long. These cars have a continuous micro-load on the battery which eventually causes one or more cells to fail. Even putting a charger on it won't bring it back to life.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Takes a 19mm 12-point Socket to fit the crankshaft bolt as 509vw referenced. A deep-well Socket works best.

And, after installing a known good battery as 509vw suggested, you probably ought to check the wiring at the starter. There is a big red (or black) cable that goes to the starter directly from the battery positive post.... very nearby on the starter is where the Solenoid wire plugs on. Make sure it's connection is good.......... unplug and re-plug!

Likely, if the car has been sitting for 5 or 6 years the Injection Pump, etc., may have lost fuel. So, once you get it cranking over with the starter, if it is going to start, it will be almost immediate. If not, I'd start by bleeding the injector lines at the injectors. If no fuel comes out, you'll likely have to prime everything, including a new fuel filter...

Keep us posted!