2000 Golf TDI - Student budget build

konrad

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
Here is my daily driver a 2000 Golf TDI. It is a budget build and my hobby on the side while i'm studying to finish University. When I first got the car, it was completely stock and a little rough mechanically. It had a blown turbo, slipping clutch, rough interior, clogged cat, finished brakes etc. This car taught me the basics of mechanics. Enjoy!

Mechanical/Performance:

-VNT -17 Turbo
-Stage 1 + tuning (Unitronic)
-Stage 1 Clutch
-Audi TT Short Shifter
-KW V1 Coilovers
-Straight piped exhaust
-Brembo Blanks w/ Hawk Pads

Interior/ Exterior:
GTI Recaro's
R32 Steering Wheel
R32 Pedals
OEM Navigation System
GTI Golf Ball Shifter
GTI Lip kit
BBS RC 18" - Daily rims
BBS RC 17" - Autocross rims

So this is how the car first started out in 2008 when I bought it.

Here is the Golf with the autocross rims on (2011)

Here is the Golf before winter with the coilovers spun all the way up before I put on the steelies (2012)

The first thing I needed to do was change the turbo since the car was extremely slow and consuming too much fuel.

I drove it around for a while and eventually had to change my calipers and brakes since they were completely finished. As you can see some of them were seized. The whole system was done.

I drove it around for a few years (until 2011) and it was completely maintenence free.At that point things started to go wrong again. I was being a little cheap and in the end it cost me a lot of $$$$. It was winter time and I said I would get my timing belt done in the spring time. Well guess what happened...a week or two before my appointment, it snapped. I bent a few valves and had to replace the head :(.

Here are the bent valves

Here is me doing the last few check-ups with Vag-com after replacing the head + new timing belt

Last edited:

konrad

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
Once the head was completely rebuilt, I decided to put in a new clutch and pressure plate. The clutch was slipping and at 280,000 km it was on its way out. I installed a stage 1 clutch to handle the future mods that I was going to do.

So now that the car was healthy mechanically, I decided to start changing around things that were not mechanical. I always hated the stock GL seats so I found a good deal on GTI square bolsters. They were good for a year but gave me back pains so I upgraded to GTI Recaro's with lumbar support from the 20 ae GTI.

I ended up getting a good deal on R32 tail lights and a GTI steering wheel so I decided to change those too.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I always wanted the R32 steering wheel and one day found one locally. So I could not pass up the chance to get one. The feel is amazing!

After changing the clutch, I thought it would be fun to put in the Audi TT short shifter. It has a better feel, but the throws are not as short as I thought.

Last edited:

konrad

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
I went to Europe this summer to visit some family and found the MFD OEM Navigation for my car. I have always wanted it and brought it back with me as a souvenir ;).

My Exhaust also rotted due to 12 winters.... so I decided to straight pipe it!

Here is a video of the straight pipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g8ld2ysGMI

Here are some pictures of my KW V1 Coilovers and the install process. I love the ride, a little stiff but you can live through it.

Last edited:

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Nice mods! I've had TB break on me too. Hopefully never again!

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Nice set up! I have a Wolfsburg 2-door Silver Golf that has been transformed in many similar ways. Great to see someone else doing this model some life extending upgrades. Enjoy it!

chriskorwan

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Golf
"student budget?" back when i was in college all i had money for was beer, books, and diesel to get to class. the car looks really sharp good job. why are the headed seat controls both on the driver side? the passenger one should be all the way to the right

problemjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 5 spd / 2002 Jetta 01M (RIP, dead 01M)
"student budget?" back when i was in college all i had money for was beer, books, and diesel to get to class. the car looks really sharp good job. why are the headed seat controls both on the driver side? the passenger one should be all the way to the right
lol, that jumped right out at me as well.

mk2_carat

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI, 09 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
This is what I have been wanting to do to a 4dr TDI golf for a long time. Looks awesome man, good work!

Grahamexl

TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Topic access via tdiclub> writemyessaytoday

Hello all,
My grandson has just graduated from college and I want to give him my old 2000 Golf TDI. Any e-books or pdf manuals on it? I haven't looked at it for ages (it's been kept in my garage for years) and I can't imagine what it looks like now. I'll post the photos later.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Topic access via tdiclub> writemyessaytoday

Hello all,
My grandson has just graduated from college and I want to give him my old 2000 Golf TDI. Any e-books or pdf manuals on it? I haven't looked at it for ages (it's been kept in my garage for years) and I can't imagine what it looks like now. I'll post the photos later.
I think you should have posted a new thread instead of replying in this one. Anyway, there's a wealth of informant on this forum. There are some PDFs, but some great posts as well. I found the best way of finding info on here is through Google search. Just type in whatever you want to search for, followed by "site:tdiclub.com" like this.