2000 Beetle won’t start / turn over help please

BugginNurse

TDI
VW 2000 Beetle
Hi VW family!
I have a 2000 New Beetle. Diesel. Runs like a champ - or should I say RAN like a champ until a few weeks ago. Here’s what’s happening and what I’ve done so far.

Turn the key to on (lights come on both on console and headlights)
Press clutch
Turn key
Will not turn over / no clicking / no flashing lights
However - at the same time I turn the key I hear a low humming noise to the left / under the steering wheel.

So far I have replaced the battery
I have replaced the starter
I have checked the fuses both on the main box on top of the battery as well as those just inside the door.
And I have replaced relay 109 that is said to be the “main starting relay” (and quite frankly in the area where the humming is heard.

I am open for suggestions. Not longing to take it to the stealership - I just want my car back. I’m new to this forum, be kind (especially if you want to say duhhh it’s x y z).
Thanks

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Have you checked the switch under the clutch pedal that tells the computer the pedal's down (required to allow cranking)?

mrurbina

Vendor
TDI
MK4 jetta tdi , alh wagon
I havnt. Pardon my ignorance where / how would I do that?
It's just a 2 wire switch on the clutch pedal. If you remove both covers of the knee panel you'll see it. It twists to unlock and remove from the pedal. Basically it just connects both wires once the pedal is depressed

I'd make sure your grounds are good and you're actually getting a signal to the starter solenoid

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
It's somewhat common for the power cable from the battery to the starter to corrode and burn out/off either at one end or the other and even internally. Works one day and the next, nothing. I've had two of them fail on the various MKlV Jettas.
One other thing that it may pay to check out is if the engine isn't seized (TB failure and piston/valve contact) or even an alternator seized will lock up the engine to prevent cranking, but then, of course, you typically get a starter/solenoid connection sound.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
A bad relay 109 will not keep the starter from cranking. But, it will keep the engine from starting/running if it is bad.

Last edited:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Actually, there are two switches on the clutch pedal bracket. One is the 'starter interlock' as mentioned and the other is 'cruise control defeat'.
The starter interlock switch is black and the cruise defeat is blue or green.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Relay 109 provides power to the ECU.
Good suggestions above.
The small wire to starter should see voltage when starter engages.