2000 beetle tdi

tdijerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/ beetle/sliver
ok i need some advice.i have a 2000 beetle tdi and have been useing mobil 1 truck & suv 5w40 ( old oil devac 1 ) i am going to get my oil change on friday and am out of the mobil 1 5w40.here is what oil i can get mobil 1 0w40 vw 505/ 502/ 503.1 or castrol 505 5w40 or castrol 505.1 i need help to decide which oil to go with. :confused:

karlaudi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS 1.9TDi; 2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.0 TDi
While I disagree with the use of Heavy-Duty Truck oils on principle in VW/ Audi TDi motors and the use of non-VW approved oil --period, along with a long time preference for Castrol.

I would say Mobil 1 with VW 502.00 / VW 505.00 on the bottle in either 0W-40 or 5W-40 would be the choice, simply because you are already using their oil formulations.

In short. if you are happy with Mobil products why switch?

For Reference:

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/vw_tb_17-05-041.pdf

:)

moved2tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 New Beetle 5spd
I use Shell Rotella T 5w40 full synthetic with advanced soot control from Wal-mart for $14 a gallon every 10k miles. At 160k miles when my timing belt was done my mechanic, with 12 yrs experience with water cooled VWs, said the engine internals looked almost new

Audi5000TDI

Banned
TDI
Passat, 1996, Grey
moved2tdi said:
I use Shell Rotella T 5w40 full synthetic with advanced soot control from Wal-mart for $14 a gallon every 10k miles. At 160k miles when my timing belt was done my mechanic, with 12 yrs experience with water cooled VWs, said the engine internals looked almost new
Did you put in a new water pump and a 100k roller this last belt change, along with rollers and tensioners and new engine mount bolts?

daBooj

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, could only find silver
There is a guy on the Elise Talk forums who had this to say about the 0w40:

Elise talk guy said:
In dyno tests against other oils on a turbo Subie it came in first. It beat some 0W20s IIRC.

Now, power and economy are not the same, but related. I sent him a message asking him what other oils were tested, here is his reply:

same Elise owner said:
I didn't do the testing. It's not online it's from a book by A. Graham Bell. About 6-8 top oils were tested.

Since the oil is 505.00 rated, I plan on trying it out in my 2003 golf. I kinda would like to track down the book and see what other oils were tested, though.

*note, names were changed. I haven't asked his permission to quote him, and don't want to get him in trouble. But lets just say he is well respected there and NOT a moderator. Please pester me before him as I do go through that site and post from time to time and don't want to get in trouble or get my good friend and elise owner who uses that board as we use the tdiclub in trouble. Thank you, daBooj

**further notes: I know that this type of information would be strange to publish in a book, and that it would be even stranger for it to be from a guy named A. Graham Bell. This came from the internets. After conferring with a friend, the guy who sent me this information usually gives out good information, but is slightly paranoid. He very well may have dished out a false reference, but the oil test was done. He posted that part on the forums.

Last edited:

tdijerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/ beetle/sliver
i called mobil tect support today to ask what the tbn of mobil 1 0w40 was.now this is were it get's good the guy said mobil didn't give out that info on the 0w40 because it was a gas engine oil.i said to him that you give the tbn for the devac 1 5w40 and he said they did give it out because it was a diesel oil.now here is when things start to go south i said the mobil 1 0w40 was a diesel oil to but he said it was not for diesel's but for gas engines.i told him the mobil 1 0w40 meet's vw 505.00 spec for the vw tdi diesel engine and he told me the vw 505.00 spec was for vw gas engine's.he was very rude the hold time that i was talking to him so at that point i just hung up on him.now i am not a oil expert but i can read so i do know what vw specs are for my car's.mobil doesn't need people like him to be talking to the customers of their products. :mad:

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
tdijerry said:
ok i need some advice.i have a 2000 beetle tdi and have been useing mobil 1 truck & suv 5w40 ( old oil devac 1 ) i am going to get my oil change on friday and am out of the mobil 1 5w40.here is what oil i can get mobil 1 0w40 vw 505/ 502/ 503.1 or castrol 505 5w40 or castrol 505.1 i need help to decide which oil to go with. :confused:
last monday you said you would be using 0w-40 http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=140976

moved2tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 New Beetle 5spd
Audi5000TDI said:
Did you put in a new water pump and a 100k roller this last belt change, along with rollers and tensioners and new engine mount bolts?
I got the dieselgeek deluxe kit with the water pump with the brass impeller.

tdijerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/ beetle/sliver
mobil 1 0w40

i got my engine oil change today with mobil 1 0w40 at the dealer that i got the tdi from.it does meet vw 502/505/503.01 so it should be ok for my 2000 beetle tdi.i talked to mobil 1 tect support again a few min ago about the 0w40 this time i got a tect that had some brains.he assured me that this oil would more than meet my need's for my tdi and that my car would do just fine on this oil.i allso talked to him about delvac 1 5w40 for vw tdi's and he all most said but stop short that delvac 1 was for big truck's and not for light duly cars like vw tdi's but more for ford power stroke and gm durmax diesel's.well this did make me feel better.but i did ask him what the vw 503.1 speck was but he did not know but it is on the bottle for the mobil 1 0w40 does any one know ? :)